Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird keyboard (SHIFT and CTRL) and mouse conflict with beeps

• Please log in to reply

semmel

semmel

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,
hard to describe in a subject line...
Here's the deal:
In any type of program (we noticed email and browser first, but the same happens in a text editor) when we want to select multiple entries (e.g. using the SHIFT) key, and we click the first entry, hold SHIFT, then click a few entries down, then "realize" we need more entries and keep pressing the mouse button into new locations, after a short period of time it will stop creating the new selection, and a little later it will beep at me out of the basic internal computer speaker, both when I click the mouse again and sometimes also when I just move the mouse.
When I let go of the SHIFT or CTRL key, one or two of my selections sometimes get executed before everything goes back to normal.

This is happening on 2 nearly identical computers that were built by me in February with fairly standard equipment.

Mouse and keyboard are both PS/2, and we both use KVM switches that have never caused this issue before, and a very old computer on the same KVM switch is not having this issue.

I use a Giga-Byte GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 1.0) Motherboard with 2x1GB of DDR2 RAM and an nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS.

I have AVG Antivirus installed, and we are both fairly careful about not opening spam email or popup windows or "you won" messages. I also have a few years experience in removing viruses, but I haven't seen this kind of behavior from a virus before...

Another annoying part of the same issue is that if I try to open a website in a new window (SHIFT) or tab (CTRL) in Firefox 3, then it may not work - it will seem as if nothing has happened, until I release the CTRL key, and THEN the page will open the my current window as opposed to in a new tab. Sometimes I can hit the CTRL key very fast after I release it, and it will open in a new tab. This is what got me checking in the first place, and the email issues on the other computer (can't select multiple emails easily without the computer "giving up").

Any idea what could cause this issue?
I think I only noticed it happening during the last few months.

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...stickykeys.aspx do these steps but instead of turning ON sticky keys turn them off if they're enabled

semmel

semmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks, that's the first thing I tried - they are turned off...
In fact I turn them off automatically whenever I install a new computer.

Good call, though, so thanks!