Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD & DVD Drives Disappeared (plus)

• Please log in to reply

average

average

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently my computer hs been shutting off randomly without warning. If it isnt unplugged and then plugged in again it cant be turned on. At 1st i thought it might be a virus or the fans needed cleaning but i find that if i bounce (shake) the tower even slightly it shuts off too which leads me to think it may be some wire loose in there. i havent a clue as to how to go about resolving this so if anyone out there has any suggestions i would welcome them. Secondly in an effort to solve the above problem i had unplugged some wires in the tower and plugged them in again (leading to the cd and dvd drives)and now i notice that when i want to play a cd there is no CD or DVD drive. In "my computer" all i see is the C-drive, no E (DVD) or F (CD) drive. The yellow question mark or exclamation mark i hear people talking about is not present in device manager. HELP !!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first thing to try is unplug the computer from the wall...open case and unplug both optical drives and reconnect them...
make sure you get the data cable/s seated all the way in..