Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Read: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts
The Ugly: As you can probably tell, we have restored the forums to an earlier date, more specifically a nightly backup from last night (1am on October 10th). While in the process of moving the database to our new server, we experienced some corruption issues that unfortunately affected the current database. Every reasonable attempt was made to recover the posts from the last day, but it simply wasn’t feasible; we’d end up spending more time offline without knowing if we would be successful, so the decision to restore the backup was made. If anyone is experiencing issues with the forum that could be related to our problems last night, please post here and we'll look into it ASAP.

I personally am responsible for a lot of the blame in this and I deeply apologize to each and every one of you. You, the forum users are the ones that generate the content of this site, and without you we wouldn’t be anywhere. To be family friendly, I’ll avoid putting some choice words here, but it’s not exactly a pleasant feeling knowing that you’ve lost something that you can’t personally replace. Regardless, I hope you guys don’t kill me and that we come out this better than ever. Thanks for understanding.

The Bad: Expect another session of (scheduled) downtime tonight (October 11, 2008), starting at approximately 10PM CST. After we discovered the corruption, the focus of the work tonight was to get us back up and running, we never had a chance to do the server move. Considering I’ve been awake for almost 24 hours now and it’s 8 in the morning, we’ll stop the work for now and continue later tonight. And I promise, we won’t lose anymore posts!

The Good:
We’ll come out of this mess better than ever. Basically, the issue tonight has showed Blair and I exactly where the faults are in our infrastructure. After the move tonight, we’ll have a site that’s operating faster, is more secure, and significantly more redundant. Although I’m thankful that we were still able to restore the site without too much trouble, the data loss in unacceptable and we’ll do everything to make sure that should we experience issues in the future that we’re much more prepared.

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Thanks for the updates devioustrap, I checked all my important posts, and they were all there, so it's really fortunate for me. :)

Edited by Ltangelic, 11 October 2008 - 07:41 AM.

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Kat sent me a pm yesterday saying I was accepted in your malware school. No my name is back to blue and I can't access those things I need to do the school. So what should I do? Thanks for always having a great site and I am not mad but devioustrap said post here if their is a problem and I was just informing you about it.

Now it just came back thanks for doing that so quick. Problem resolved.

Edited by heat123, 11 October 2008 - 08:00 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fixed........ :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

The above posts are missing any chance of recovery as I received replies between 23:25 and 00:34.

The first two do not have any posts at all, all has been lost, additionally the first one is no longer registered. I will PM the second and third asking them to repost

User is : scoobywanabe no sign anywhere of this one

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Unfortunately, there were a number of lengthy posts I have lost. Logging in just now was like a time warp, as the same as I logged in the time previous.

I do not remember now everything I wrote, or all the points to be considered for each post. To help is one thing, to do it twice over... ! I'm so frustrated right now I'm going to bed. :)

Nonetheless, I cannot hold it against anybody, these things do happen, and it was fortunate that a very recent backup was able to be used.

Devioustrap, I didn't know we had another Admin here at this site - it's nice to meet you. Let's hope next time we meet, the circumstances are more... agreeable... :)

Cheers to all, and once again, thank goodness for backups. :)

Troy

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hello! (I'm at least glad you made everyone aware of this, because I know some other forums wouldn't even do this and say they're sorry.)

I have but one issue....
Last night I recieved the PM from Kat that I was accepted into GeekU, but now today, this morning, I'm just a normal user again. :)

Thank you! :)

Okay, It's fixed, thank you very much! :)

Edited by skyhintack, 11 October 2008 - 09:25 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fixed... :)

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
I fortunately didn't lose that much from my topics, but just wanted to thank you guys for what I'm sure has been a huge amount of work to make sure things didn't get really bad. These things happen, don't beat yourself up about it, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going :).

Edit: Ditto to troy, never knew there was another admin here. Pleased to meet you devioustrap.

Edited by Transience, 11 October 2008 - 08:55 AM.

Tweene

Tweene

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,387 posts
Hi there

I lost one post (the only one i have), but i have it in a text file :) I will post it again :)

Nice to "meet" you Devioustrap and thank you for telling us about the problem :) and for the time you spend on it :)

Tweene

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Devioustrap:

First, I want to thank everyone who has a stake in making GeekstoGo work behind the scenes. In my opinion everyone is to be commended for the work they do here, even if we don't see or experience some of the things they all do. As Administartors, you have to make some tough decisions, and sometimes they are decisions that you may not like, but as my mom says "Those are the brakes, we have to move forward."

Second, when you have servers and you have to do maintainence on them like this, strange things can and often do happen. You expect that something will take you a couple hours, only to discover that something else has occurred that makes the job more intensive in time, labor and sometimes sleep. Having to restore the database must be a bear, and I can only immagine being in Devioustrap's shoes as he had to deal with this circumstance - I have spent many a night myself restoring machines to allow me to work the next day when I had something unforseen occur. That is part of the unknown sometimes, and it stinks :)

I personally am responsible for a lot of the blame in this and I deeply apologize to each and every one of you. You, the forum users are the ones that generate the content of this site, and without you we wouldn’t be anywhere. To be family friendly, I’ll avoid putting some choice words here, but it’s not exactly a pleasant feeling knowing that you’ve lost something that you can’t personally replace. Regardless, I hope you guys don’t kill me and that we come out this better than ever. Thanks for understanding.

Devioustrap: I have scanned what I posted and compared my post count to that which I had yesterday. I did lose some posts myself (about 6) but they can be redone - This is why I will not post again in important postings until you clear the last hurdle, which would be to move to our new server. Losing information is NOT a pleasent feeling - I have been there - The important thing as far as I am concened is that you did what you had to do, and restored what you could, and alerted us to what happened when we came back online. I will not kill you, because this stuff happens, and we all learn from our mistatakes - ScHwErV has always told us that "Learning Never Stops" and he is right - have a :) and relax - You will need sleep to be at your best.

Nice to meet you - Keep on Truckin' :)

Thanks for all you do EVERYONE!!

Brian
GU Junior

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Guess ignorance IS bliss when you don't have a clue what's going on around you. :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello.. I'm pretty sure that I lost quite a number of posts today/yesterday... Not sure how to retain them back..

Can someone assist me? Thanks :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Hello.. I'm pretty sure that I lost quite a number of posts today/yesterday... Not sure how to retain them back..

Can someone assist me? Thanks :)

fenzodahl: As has been stated, we sadly cannot recover those posts, no. They are gone. We will all do what we can to help our users, even if we have to backtrack our steps from yesterday and re-reply.

Devious: Stop beating yourself up. It happens. You're still a genius, mister. :)

To everyone here at GeeksToGo: While this is an unfortunate, and frustrating, incident, DT is right. We will come out of this stronger. I ask your understanding and patience as we work through this. I know it will be a pain to redo posts, but I also have faith in each and every one of you. I know you'll pull together and do whatever it takes to help our users.

Y'all rock. :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Devious: Stop beating yourself up. It happens. You're still a genius, mister.

To everyone here at GeeksToGo: While this is an unfortunate, and frustrating, incident, DT is right. We will come out of this stronger. I ask your understanding and patience as we work through this. I know it will be a pain to redo posts, but I also have faith in each and every one of you. I know you'll pull together and do whatever it takes to help our users.

Couldn't agree more, I am now back on track apart from one poor unfortunate whos' registration was lost along with his posts. So if you are reading this scoobywanabe repost your initial log and then PM me