Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Read: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You must be getting mine, too! :)

I'm still not receiving them.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hmm, no Fast Reply option either?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I do get the fast reply everywhere else on the forum though. Maybe that is just the news section? :)

Regards,
Olrik

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Yep, I realize that now. :)

Still no email notifications though.

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Well done Kat, and DeviousTrap

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
When I reply to a topic sometimes it makes multiple posts.

Is this me? That is, am I doing something wrong or is it part of the hiccups while the new server beds in? :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

You must be getting mine, too! :)

I'm still not receiving them.

Want four of 'em back? :)

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts

When I reply to a topic sometimes it makes multiple posts.

Is this me? That is, am I doing something wrong or is it part of the hiccups while the new server beds in? :)

I have this problem too, and so does RatHat, he spammed two of my CMFs. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think this occurs when you get a slow or seemingly stalled reply and click the Add Reply button again......don't click the Add Reply button more than once, just wait and it will eventually go through.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
I think I have a phantom clicker in the house, as I haven't been double, treble, quadruple clicking! :)

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I just got duplicate posts, when in fact the forum never showed that it completed. It said "Loading" forever, and waiting for Geeks to Go at the bottom of Firefox. I finally gave up and went back to the main forum page, and lo and behold, my post was there 3 times.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have not been ignoring this topic, but we do have a great team that's more than capable of handling any problem. Thanks to devioustrap, and to Kat for all their hard work. Especially devioustrap that worked tirelessly, and without sleep for a couple of days.

Where have I been? Friday we had new carpet installed in our house. If you've even done that, you know it's almost as much work as moving. Saturday I had to leave at 4:30am for a pheasant hunting trip, and got home last night. I was checking in on my phone and chatted with devioustrap some on Friday night, so I was fully aware of what happened, and why. I debated canceling the trip, but I had my phone to keep in contact, and I was checking in as I was able.

Ironically, one of the primary reasons for this move was to provide the redundancy to prevent data loss like this from occurring. There was no one error or action that caused it, but a culmination of them. Murphy was hard at work. It bothers no one more than me to know that we lost a day of data, but I'm thankful it was not worse. Since the move has now occured, we have the safeguards in place that will prevent it from ever happening again. We'll be glad to discuss them if you have any questions.

There will still be a few issues as we settle into our new home. Perhaps the most visible at the moment is email notifications failing for some. Many email services use SPF records to reduce spam. Others, such as Yahoo have special requirements, like DomainKeys. These records sometimes take a little while to update. Also, email spam filters notice a large spike in emails from an IP, and it may raise a red flag with them, causing emails to be sandboxed until they're verified. There are other small issues that have be dealt with. It just takes a few days after moving servers to get all the email flowing properly.

I am installing the Sphinx search daemon later this morning that will help a lot with posts and replies hanging. These hangs are caused by tables locking as the default forum search engine slows on an intensive search. We'll also be updating MySQL to version 5.1 later this week. It's the first version that offers true multi-core support, and should help with performance. We'll need to do some other tweaking to get our configuration operating most efficiently on this new hardware. Thanks again for all your patience and understanding. Your response and reactions have been incredible.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thanks admin for the enlightenment :)
I'm really pleased the Geeks to Go team handles this so well.

Regards,
Olrik

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Thanks again for all your patience and understanding. Your response and reactions have been incredible.

As has been noted before in this thread, the fact that devioustrap (and by extension you and the rest of the admins here) was so forthcoming on what happened played a big part in how well everyone reacted. Thanks really go to him for his hard work and persistence and Kat for her help and support of him. I, for one, had no doubt that you knew everything that was going on, and probably didn't get much sleep before your trip.

*sari wonders how the poor pheasants fared at the hands of admin after that stressful experience.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is that pheasants or Peasants ?