Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy drive suddenly appears

• Please log in to reply

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, my com has no floppy drive installed but only a dvd drive and a hard disk drive.

Recently, a floppy drive suddenly appears in 'My Computer'. I have no external drive attached to this com. Whenever i tried logging off my com. A message appears which look something like this "Drive A not found.....". Don't actually remember the whole error message. And not just this problem. Whenever i start up my com, it always hangs after al the icons and window desktop wall paper finished loaded. So i have to push thre reset button again and again to get in to a non hang situation.

A few question:

1) How did i get the floppy drive suddenly pop up where i do not have any and no external drive in the 1st place? And how do i solve it?

2)Why did my com keeps hanging after startup? And how to solve it?

Thx in advance.

Josh Hau

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding the floppy: It looks like your BIOS changed values. Boot into BIOS and disable floppy disk (usually in the first menu item. Choose NONE or whatever the option is in your computer).

After that done see if the other problem is also solved.

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
okie i have disable the floppy drive in Bois mode and there it doesn't shows in 'My Computer' and device manager anymore. Thx.

Next is the start up of com that hangs half way or after the desktop wallpaper and icons loaded. I'll have check the Bios and the time and date there was up to date. So it wasn't a motherboard battery problem. I also doubt its a graphic card problem. Any clue about this?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you boot in safe mode? If you can, restore to an earlier date.

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried to system restore to an earlier date in safe mode, but it doesn't let me. It says something like no changes made, system restore failed to retore to ... :)

Edited by Josh Hau, 12 October 2008 - 02:57 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The operating system is damaged, probably.

1: It could be as a result of malware. Please use the link in the list below to the malware forum. Run the preliminary scans. If the computer is clean, post back here. If it isn't post a HJT log in the malware forum. Your computer is clean (relatively speaking) if no critical were discovered or if they were discovered and all of them removed.

2: Is the problem related to any program update or installation? Any new hardware?

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
1) I have run the anti malware scan. Found 3 files infected. All infected files were removed successfully.

Attached is a log file for your view. Note that the log file in notepad format shows the scan done before i click on the 'removed infected'. After i done removing, i was prompt to reboot my com and i did. Then i went back to the Anti-Malware scanner log and found the 3 infected registry keys were actually recorded as quarantined although i was prompt it was all success removed before a restart. Is it safe to delete these files off completely?

If you notice in the log, there is one file listed '(Hijacked.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1)' under Registery Data Item infected. What does it mean? Should i report this on the Malware Hajacked Forum and have them help me investigate?

2)I am not sure if the issue was related to any software or hardware. What i have installed before having this problem was some game patches, window related patches that includes sp3 and one K-Lite Codec Pack which adds additional codec for viewing some downloaded videos. No additional hardware were installed before the problem arise also.

Attached Files

Edited by Josh Hau, 12 October 2008 - 06:30 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, I suggest that you post a HJT log in the malware forum.

Regarding the updates: SP-3 is something I absolutely avoid when it comes as an update. It can cause lots of problems on loaded, long running computers. When I install it it's only after clean format. I install it from a CD which contains downloaded and burnt SP-3 and I do it first thing, before I even install the computer's drivers. If that sounds paranoid, it's not. I never failed.

Many installations run smoothly but a relatively large number fail. SP-2 used to have the same problem. I suggest that you post in the malware forum first and see what happens. If that doesn't work please post back here.

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okie i have reported this on the Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here Forum and have them look indepth this link here..

This will take quite a few days. I will keep you updated for the time being.