Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Cannot Find......

• Please log in to reply

colorsilk

colorsilk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About 8 months ago, we had some issues with viruses on our computer. Our Mcaffee virus program had expired. I downloaded the free AVG home version and it found the viruses on the computer and got rid of them. Now everytime we log in to our computer, we get this error: Windows cannot find: C:\windows\shell.exe If I close it we can still use the computer fine...dont notice any difference. However, I would like to fix the problem if I can. The only issue is that Dell did not ship an XP reinstall or repair disk for our computer. So my question is:

1. What should I do to repair this issue?
2. Should I purchase a repair or reinstall disk, and if so, what would the disk name be that I am looking for?

I did learn how to use the system restore feature, but I could not go back far enough from when the problem started.

The second issue we have is that we can no longer get into the add/remove files (control panel), as it states we must log in as administor. However, we never signed anyone up as administor and we have no clue what the password would be or even how to log on as administor. Can you help?

Thanks.

Colorsilk

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your problems is most probably malware related. Please re-post in the malware forum. Use the link in my list below and run all the required preliminary scans. If the problem still exist follow the instructions and post a HJT log.

colorsilk

colorsilk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you. I will do that.