Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD keeps reverting to PIO mode

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 5100 notebook, about 2 years old. For the last 3 weeks I have had this recurring problem of the hdd randomly reverting back to PIO mode. I have wiped the system and it still happened. Now when it happens I do a system restore and that works for up to a few days. In my event viewer is a number of errors. There is a string of about 30 errors that concern the IDE0 and 2 events that concern what looks like an Acer component. I have included screens of them. I don't know how to determine if this is a real hdd failure or if it is a need to update drivers or some kind of conflict.

The last issue is if I don't lightly press on the door to the cd drive while rebooting then the cd drive will not show up in "My Computer" and will not work. Press on the cd drive while booting and it works fine. Could be related, maybe not.

I have one tech that says the drive is dying and another tech that says the drive is definately not dying. Acer support is useless. I sure do need some help getting to the bottom of this and I appreciate all the help I can get!

Attached Thumbnails

• eventview.JPG
  • eventview2.JPG
  • eventview3.JPG

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The first thing I would do is to remove the CD drive and the hard disk, carefully clean the contacts and replace them. According to your description the CD seems to have a loose connection. Restore again and see what happens.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can test the hard drive using the manufacturers utilities. (link in my signature)

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thank you guys, I took the cd drive out and found some loose screws on the back of it near the connection so it's showing up and working fine. I also pulled the hdd and cleaned all of it's connections and the dust from it's bay. Next, I will run the seagate disk utility. Thanks for all of the help!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I ran the Seatools for Windows S.M.A.R.T. test, short drive, long drive and the short generic tests, all passing. Is it possible that the cd drive being loose was causing my IDE0 errors and resulting in the random reverts to PIO mode? Gotta love Windows!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume that the CD and HD are on the same cable and therefore the same channel, so yes, it is possible for it to create the problem.

Good luck and keep us informed.