Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe Error at XP Welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

Admiral_Fuzzie

Admiral_Fuzzie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently bought a new motherboard (ABit KV7-V with an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ processor), and right from the start, I got the following error message at the Windows XP welcome screen:

lsass.exe - System Error

An I/O error initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The Registry could not read in, write out, or flush one of the files that contain the system's image of the Registry.

I'd click OK, and the system would reboot. This error message did not occur very often at first, but now it does it almost every single time I start up and/or reboot my system (about 5 out of 6 times to say the least ;) ).

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I'm pretty stumped... :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• errormsg.PNG

Edited by Admiral_Fuzzie, 02 May 2005 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

yburt

yburt

• Pip
  • 6 posts
lsass.exe is a windows process that generates the access token to the user account at logon. I don't think the error is related to your motherboard.

I know that there are a couple of viruses that latch on to lsass.exe and are pretty dangerous viruses. What anti virus software do you use? Check if you have the latest patches or your anti virus.U might wanna search the net for a removal tool for this virus.

After you have made 100% sure it's not a virus (Sasser.exe) post back :tazz:

Admiral_Fuzzie

Admiral_Fuzzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, and it automatically updates virus defnintions many times, just about every day.

I ran a full system scan, and it didn't find the Sasser worm (Sasser.exe) anywhere. I took the time to scan lsass.exe individually as well. I also ran the Sasser removal tool from Symantec's site, and it didn't find anything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect a corrupt registry

See if this helps

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

If you have trouble following it, post back

Admiral_Fuzzie

Admiral_Fuzzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry I took so long to post back. I looked at the article that you gave me the link to.
I actually reformatted my hard drive and did a clean install of Win XP instead (which I was planning to do anyway).

It's been a few days now since I reformatted and reinstalled Win XP. Just last night, that lsass.exe error occurred again. ;)

I wonder what could be causing this? I haven't done anything out the ordinary, and there's no way that my registry could be corrupt again... but if that's the case... what could be corrupting it?

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Would have to see for sure, but since your registry is always open while your PC is running, the opportunity for trouble is there.

When you shut down, is there anything still running or hanging at shut down? What software did you have on the fresh install?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
other thoughts....do you have write caching on?

You may want to disable ...

Admiral_Fuzzie

Admiral_Fuzzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My system shuts down without any problems. So far, I have installed the following software on my system:

(This is roughly the order I installed them in...)

-Win XP SP2 and other Windows Updates
-AVG Anti Virus
-Ad-Aware
-Spybot S&D
-Video Card Drivers
-Sound Card Drivers
-USB 2.0 Drivers
-MS Office 2003
-Paint Shop Pro 8
-AIM
-MSN Messenger

Lastly, I took a DVD I made that consists of files that I backed-up. (mostly MS Word documents, image files, video files, flash movies, music files, and a Visual Basic project or two.), and I copied them over to the My Documents folder, where I usually keep things like that. I'd like to state that I always do a virus scan on all of those files before I back them up.

I installed all of these a few days ago, immediately following the clean install of Win XP. I have not installed any other software since then.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and the write caching?