Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Problems with my computer

• Please log in to reply

iviet

iviet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK I'm on my other computer because my main computer is really messed up. Here is the problem with my main computer. When i turn on the computer at the start up screen only my wallpaper shows up and it takes a long time until all my icons show. second after that my task bars missing so i can not go to start or anything. The only way for me to get back task bar was to right click and click new toolbar but thing is everything is in classic mode and my original window xp theme is missing. Thirdly when i go to task manager and click on processes i am missing a whole bunch of stuff and there is only one system process running and in the users tab there is nothing. Next thing is the internet on the main computer it doesn't even work, when i go to network connection in control panel there is nothing there i tried clicking refresh but it said " The network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the network connection service is enabled and running". Last is that i cannot start anything in services in the administrative tools they all have error 1053:The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion, and error 1068:The dependency service or group failed to start plus i cant even copy and paste anything.

This all started after my computer oddly restarted. Oh and system restore doesn't even work it says "system restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again" (tried restarting doesn't work).

I am unable to post a hijack this log because the computer wouldn't even let me copy,paste, or even move files.

Details- Windows XP Media Center Edition
version 2002 service pack 3 and 512mb ram

Help is much appreciated

Edited by iviet, 11 October 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When did you install SP-3? Did you install any update or program or hardware lately?

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

When did you install SP-3? Did you install any update or program or hardware lately?

I installed SP-3 long time ago i don't remember. Plus i don't think i updated or install any thing lately except that i am using comodo firewall ever since i got the Antivirus XP 2008 and i used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to get rid of it.

Edited by iviet, 11 October 2008 - 06:21 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You will probably hear different opinions but mine is that your operating system is so damaged by now that any repair other then clean format is a waste of time. The damage was probably caused by malware but I can't be sure of that. Sp-3 is another good candidate but since you installed a long time ago the chances are slimmer. If you decide to backup your data run a thorough test with a good antivirus and a good antispyware.

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You will probably hear different opinions but mine is that your operating system is so damaged by now that any repair other then clean format is a waste of time. The damage was probably caused by malware but I can't be sure of that. Sp-3 is another good candidate but since you installed a long time ago the chances are slimmer. If you decide to backup your data run a thorough test with a good antivirus and a good antispyware.

Is there any good antivirus program you recommend because my malware anti malware program doesnt even work no more and my system restore wont work either. Or should i take a risk and check all the boxes in Hijackthis and press fix all.

Edited by iviet, 12 October 2008 - 02:19 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My personal choice:

Avast antivirus (free). In addition to the main program Avast have another free tool which they update from time to time called Avast Antivirus Antispyware Tool. In my humble opinion Avast is the best antivirus that I know off.

Malwarebytes antispyware (free)

Spybot Search and Destroy (free). If you install it, do not enable the TeaTimer.

Microsoft firewall.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Or should i take a risk and check all the boxes in Hijackthis and press fix all.

DO NOT do this!!!! You may well render your computer inoperable.

Once you have downloaded and installed the suggested programs, please post your problem in the Malware Forum starting with the information in This Topic. Let the experts there help you clean your computer up.

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok then. Malawarebyte doesnt work, Avast i use to have but got rid of because something was wrong with my rpc locator so it didnt make avast work. I'll download spybot and transfer it to my main computer and see if it works. thanks

ok i wont fix all in hijackthis.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Wannabe1 is absolutely right. For some reason I didn't see the HJT section.

Like I said before, you will probably hear different opinions about how to fix the computer. Perfectly legitimate.

What problem do you have with Malwarebytes. Do you get an error message during installation? if yes, just continue with the installation. I always get this error message, ignore it, and have the program running fine.

If you can't install Avast you can try AVG 8.0.

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
[bleep] i cant use Spybot because in order to scan i need to update it first but the internet connection doesn't work on my main computer.

to the skeptic:

Malwarebyte worked for me before this occurred after when i tried to use it it says that runtime error 372 failed to load vbalgrid

Edited by iviet, 12 October 2008 - 03:14 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What's wrong with your internet connection? You will need it for updating any program that you are going to install. I suggest that you fix this first. Spybot in itself is not enough.

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When this problem occurred it also messed up my internet connection because when i go to control panel and click network connections the page is blank and if i press refresh it says "The network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the network connection service is enabled and running"

Edited by iviet, 12 October 2008 - 03:21 PM.

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Avast seems to be working again i am currently doing a boot time scan

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
wow the scan is still going and nearly all the stuff is infected with win32:virut

iviet

iviet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok the scan is done but now when it restarted it shows the thing where i have to put in my password but i didn't set a password.....and i f i press enter it shows loading personal settings but logs me off right after

Edited by iviet, 12 October 2008 - 05:23 PM.