Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Need help with error message (Ithr)

• Please log in to reply

lsu

lsu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have just found a computer that is two years old that used to work fine. It is:

Dell Dimension 4700
3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor

I got the error message : Previous attempts at bppting this system have failed at checkpoint (Ithr).

I have replaced:

Hard Drive
Processor
Motherboard
Memory

So, it is practically a new system.

I have searched this thread and found many possible solutions to this problem - all of which I have tried to no avail.

I popped out the motherboard battery, unplugged all peripherals (except the video card, because thats what I need to be able to see my display)

I cleaned out the dust, checked the fan

I still get the same message at boot, and about 15 seconds after I boot, the computer shuts down. This happens so quickly so I cannot access my BIOS.

This is aggravating me more than anything I have ever dealt with.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! :)

If possible, do not just post links to other forums relating to this topic ~ I have tried them all!!!!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

The ITHR error message is one that is specific to Dell and refers to the Internal Thermal Probes on the CPU.
There seem to be a number of different things that can cause this error, including the motherboard/bios & cpu. That fact that it is shutting down after 15 secs suggests that it could be overheating though.

You said you've already replaced the motherboard, cpu, hard drive & memory, so unless you're really unlucky & both the original & the replacement component have been dodgy, we can probably rule those out.

Did you also replace the heatsink & fan assembly? If not, have to checked that the fan is working properly? Did you also renew the thermal compound when you replaced the cpu? Have you also checked that the heatsink is correctly fitted & is not clogged up with dust?

You said you tried booting without any peripherals connected except the monitor. Did you do have any USB devices connected though, eg USB keyboard or mouse or USB uplink connection to the monitor? If so, try disconnecting them.

Let me know how you get on. If none of these suggestions help, I'll give The Admiral (our resident Dell expert) a prod...

Edited by Samm, 11 October 2008 - 06:17 PM.

lsu

lsu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran out and got some thermal compound and the problem seems to have been fixed.

Thanks!

lsu

lsu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
now i am freezing everytime the dell screen comes up right when I boot... i cannot even access setup

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Apologies for the delay in replying - as you probably know this site's been down for the last few days. I just received you PM as well. In the PM you mentioned you 'added cooling liquid to it'. I assume you mean the thermal compound. What exactly did you do? i.e what was the compound you used, did you remove the old compound first & how much of the new compound did you apply?

Also, have you tried clearing the bios?