Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC does not start up - please help

• Please log in to reply

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
See if the illustrations in this HP article can help you get more product specific identification.

http://h10025.www1.h...p;product=89327

Advertisements

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Doug
There was no model number anywhere. It does not matter, actually (I Think).
I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall the OS.
It’s over.
However, I have a new problem now. It is probably outside the scope of this forum, but I hope you can guide me quickly.
I cannot connect to the intenet.
Physically, my computers are connected through a Linksys router.
After several attempts to configure the connection, I called Linksys tech support.
The tech guided me to the Device Manager > Network Adapters. It shows only one: 1394 Net Adapter.
The technician told me it’s wrong, I should have seen a different name, e.g. Intel, Linksys, etc.
He suggested me to open the box and read the name,model on the network card, then call them back.
Does this make sense?

FYI, my laptop shows 2 adapters: one wireless and one VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet;
Another PC (Gatweway w/Vista) shows Intel PRO/100 PM

Thank you much,
Boris

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
yes, it makes sense.

Not showing a Network Interface Card NIC for your wired connection to router or direct to internet.

Your machine "does" have a NIC either as part of the MotherBoard or as a separate PCI card.

Your Windows XP will not be able to use your NIC until you install its driver.
The driver would be part of the ChipSet Drivers that I mentioned earlier to download from HP.

"If" the NIC is a PCI card, it would be located lower on the back of your machine and physically parallel to your other PCI cards like sound and dial-up modem, etc.

So "if" it is a PCI card NIC, have a look at the PCI card physically.
It will have some indication of brand-name of NIC and maybe even a model.
If you get the brand-name, go to the NIC manufacturer's website and see if they have a Driver that is attributed to handle most of their NICs.

*** A better way to go about this now..............

You've installed XP and it is booting <-- that's a good thing
You have a separate functional PC or Laptop that can burn CD's <-- that's a good thing

With your internet connected functional machine...
Go get a copy of Everest 2.20 http://majorgeeks.co...wnload4181.html
While you're at it, download a free copy of AVG8 or Avast, or Avira (whatever free Antivirus you are going to eventually install)
While your at it, download a free copy of ZoneAlarm or Comodo, (whatever free Firewall you are going to eventually install)

Burn all three to CD so you can transfer them to the machine you are restoring.

Everest 2.20 is a handy "inventory utility"
Everest will tell you
The exact model of your machine
the name of your MotherBoard
how much RAM you have
what hard drives and optical drives you have
and more to the immediate point, Everest will tell you the names of your PCI devices. (including the name of your NIC)

Now in your Device Manager, you probably have a few yellow or red warnings and a few "unknown devices"
One of those warnings or unknown devices is your NIC.
Get the identifying details from Everest
then go online with your functional laptop to download the NIC driver from the NIC manufacturer cite. Burn it to CD.
Install it and Voila' you will have a machine ready to connect to the internet.

Please strongly consider installing both a Firewall and an AntiVirus BEFORE connecting to the internet.

Post back with your progress.

Good work so far! :)

Doug

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
My latest actions:

- opened the box; the T1 receptacle is a small box mounted on the motherboard, identified as InNetUSCS SI-50083;
- the PCI card is an extender, connected to the motherboard via an edge connector, identified as PCI Extender Card, Compaq P30;
- reinstalled the Win XP again; same result, i.e. no network card recognized;
- installed Everest 2.20.405
- under ‘Network”, it inventories “Intel 82801DB ICH4-LAN Controller with 82562ET/EZ PHY”
- called HP tech support; the tech said that even if a third party s/w (Everest) recognized the PCI Card, the OS Devise Mgr must also recognize it, in order for it to work;
- she suggested disconnecting-reconnecting the PCI Card;
- if does not work - just buy a new PC;
- also just noticed (I think it was there before, but my brain did not react): in the OS Device Manager, the “Other Devices” is shown with a large yellow question mark; all other devices in the group have the same yellow question mark instead of proper icons; thoe include: Ethernet Controller; Multi-Media Audio Controller; USB Controller; Video Controller;
Is it possible these problems and the “no PCI card” problem are related?

What do I do now?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

Ethernet Controller; Multi-Media Audio Controller; USB Controller; Video Controller;

The above quoted items are seviced by the Chipset Drivers that I referred to above, and should be obtained from HP Website.

Open up Everest again.
Most of the information you need will be listed in:
Computer - Summary

Specifics about your ChipSet and necessary drivers will be listed in:
MotherBoard - Chipset
(At the bottom of that panel, There will even be a link to the website where you will be able to find and download Chipset Drivers)
Your Chipset will be identified as NorthBridge _ _ _ _ _ and South Bridge _ _ _ _
The website will have the corresponding reference.

HP representative: she suggested disconnecting-reconnecting the PCI Card;
- if does not work - just buy a new PC

That is absolutely outrageous and she should be reported to her Supervisor.

What to do next?
Go get your chipset Drivers, burn them to CD, then install.

You may need to get other specific PCI card drivers.

Then install a Firewall and Antivirus
Then go to MS Updates.

Best Regards

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Doug,
thank you for all your help. Unfortunately I am not making progress.

Based on your last email, I identified, with the help of Everest:

North Bridge: Intel Brookdale-G i845G
South Bridge: intel 82801DB ICH4

There is link to Driver Download (support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm) indeed.
The index.htm, however, does not list this chipset. The search of intel.com did not return any results. It is puzzling.

Googling “Intel Brookdale-G i845G” pointed to several web sites that advertise free downloads. However, you cannot download a driver file, but a program like DriverDetective or Driver Genius or whatever. During the installation, these programs want to find one thing or another ONLINE, so it looks like a Catch 22.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Boris

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Third one in the list:

http://support.intel...b/CS-009236.htm

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Doug,
I downloaded the three .exe files from the Intel web site (the page that you found - thank you!). For whatever reason, the driver install did not go as per the readme file instruction. I turned the PC off thinking to start again tomorrow, but then a friend who works in s/w development happened to stop by. He decided to use the file named PRO2KXP_v13_3.exe from the Intel site, - and the MS Device Manager “saw” the PCI card and the Internet connection worked.
After that he installed the vidoe (93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe) and the audio (AUD_ALLOS_XP_VISTA_5377_PV_REALTEK.EXE) drivers. The audio is not working for some reason, but I will check it later. Just now, I finished installing SP3 and th last update after it.
The next will be installing AVG.

Regarding the firewall, I am not clear and will appreciate your weighing in. There is one, a part of the OS. It is on, I just checked. I was also told once that the router also serves as firewall, but I do not exactly understand how it works.

So far so good. Thank you very much for your help!

Boris

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
WOW! Congratulations on all that great work!
What a relief that must be to you.

Nothing beats having a knowledgeable person right there with hands on.

As to Firewall...
Yes, MS XP has a built in "one way - incoming" firewall.

Yes, there is, in a sense, a hardware firewall incorporated into your router.
the router's primary function is to:
receive messages from the outside and hand them off to machines on the inside, without letting the outside know the destination.
Send messages from the inside, to a destination outside, while only allowing the outside to "see" the address of the router itself, and not the internal destination machine.

Sounds like a lot of protection, and it is some protection. I wouldn't be without it.

But any firewall is only as good as the human sitting at the keyboard.
If for instance, you fall for a socially engineered scam and click on a download, or open a poison email, your Firewall will let the item in, because you told it to.... by clicking.

Software Firewalls like Comodo or Zone Alarm, "watch and evaluate" items coming in and "watch and evaluate" things going out.

If you had inadvertently allowed something bad to come it, and now it is trying to export important parts of your personal information, the software firewall will alert you that some "new program" is requesting access to the internet to send out information.
You, the human, have an additional opportunity to allow (if it is an OK safe program that you just activated) or deny (if you didn't activate it deliberately and don't recognize what it is or what it is asking to do.

So, yes, get a software Firewall, and turn-off the XP Firewall (only one Firewall (other than the router) is allowed to function effectively at any one time. Two will foul you up more than you even want to think about.

Best Regards

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Doug,

thank you very much again for all your help.
Your explanation for using the firewall program was excellent; it was the first time somebody did it in such a simple and lucid manner.

After wasting most of the day on installing software, I have a running computer.

I wanted to share with you a bit of strange (to me) info I came across when trying to install a sound driver last night. It might be of interest and/or use to you more than it served me.

Everest determined that I had an Intel 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Audio Controller. After not finding it on the Intel site, I googled the name and came across this page:

http://forums.driver...ead.php?t=33668

which contained an interesting comment: “ Your motherboard was built to "fool" Everest and any other hardware identification program. It falsely reports "Intel 82801" as the sound device when this could be furtherest from the actual truth...”

The “super moderator” then referred to http://www-307.ibm.c....cid=MIGR-44440

I downloaded the driver, but during the update got an error msg: “driver not found; reboot your system and try again” which scared me a bit.

I then right-clicked on the h/w icon in the device manager, selected “update driver” and I thionk it was found on the web by Windows. Everything works.

Oh, and the last question if I may. I noticed that ZoneAlarm prevents IP’s that belong to the router (I Think) from communicating with each other. I added them to the ‘trusted zone’ but it is strange. It also prevented PhotoShop from communicating with the Internet, which I approved, assuming there is a piece of code that wants to register the program (yet again!) with Adobe. I thought to install ZoneAlarm on my wife’s PC because she pays the bills online, but it may be dangerous before I learn more about this program.

Best regards,

Boris

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Open your Zone Alarm control panel by double-clicking on its icon in the notification area near your clock.

It also prevented PhotoShop from communicating with the Internet, which I approved, assuming there is a piece of code that wants to register the program (yet again!) with Adobe.

In the left-hand column Select - Program Control - Programs(tab)
Scroll down the list until you find your Photo Shop item.
Click on that item's Access/Trusted and Acess/Internet colums to change the setting to Ask or Allow.

If it was me, I'd leave it blocked as long as the program is functioning the way you want it.
You may have already registered before all this work was completed /or not. It sure wouldn't make any difference to me.
Either way, I like to "turn off" auto-updaters and auto-register components in order to decrease unnecessary traffic and possible security exploits.

I noticed that ZoneAlarm prevents IP’s that belong to the router (I Think) from communicating with each other. I added them to the ‘trusted zone’ but it is strange.

Open your Zone Alarm control panel by double-clicking on its icon in the notification area near your clock.

In the left-hand column Select - Firewall - Zones(tab)
This is where you can add other machines (wife's machine, shared printer, etc.) to your Trusted Zone
Click on Add in the lower right-hand corner.
Select - IP Address (or Range)
type in your wife's IP to be able to configure Windows for Simple File Sharing.

You didn't ask my advice, but I see little use for this kind of file sharing, and it provides just one more route for the bad-guys if your network is not properly secured.

If you actually want and use Simple File Sharing, OK.
But know that the route exists when you consider your overall security setup.

If you want to get a "Performance evaluation" for your newly setup machine, you can Run the popular PCPitstop Full Tests.
http://www.pcpitstop.com
You'll have to Register, create a password, and accept an ActiveX component (have you already installed JAVA RunTime Environment)
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are SAFE.
The Full Tests (OverDrive) are useful to get a look at what's ticking inside of your system, and to see how it is performing in comparison to other similar machines. It will also identify various maintenance and security needs if any exist.

Like many Websites, PCPitstop is prepared to sell you various utilities to "fix it for you".
I've been a long term user of PCPitstop and have never purchased any of the utilities, since they generally fix things that are easily, (and I think better) fixed manually by the owner/user of the machine.

Copy/Paste the URL address from your Results page back here into this Thread and I will have a look to help in your self-test and maintenance evaluation, and I will help you with any indicated manual maintenance suggestions.

Best Regards

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Doug,
Thank you for your last post. It took me awhile to follow up, but I just used the pitstop web site.
I am confused by your suggestion to copy/paste the URL with the test results. The URL (http://www.pcpitstop.com/neptune.asp) is the same as the one where the check process started.

When copied, the list of recommended fixes pastes as text so I made screen shots and will post them on my web site if needed:

Thank you!
Boris

Test Description
(Click each item for more Detail) Area Result Status
Clear IE Cache Performance 100 MB
Change Internet Receive Buffer Performance default
Check Disk Speed (Drive F:) Performance 1 MB/s
Defragment File (Drive C:) Performance 1382
Defragment Drive C: Performance 36%
Reduce System Restore Capacity Performance 42345 MB
Disable Firefox Saved Passwords Security Enabled
Update Modems Driver Drivers 7/18/2003

System Specs
System Specifications
Subsystem Description Specification
PC Pitstop Active X Build 197
Browser MSIE 6.0
System OS Windows XP Home SP3
System OS Install Date 11/7/2008 9:56:28 AM
System Make Compaq
System Model Presario
System Serial Number U239KYVZA507
Main Board Make Compaq
Main Board Model 0804h
Main Board Version
Main Board BIOS Compaq 686O2 v2.14 COMPAQ - 20020815 20020815
Processor Description Intel Pentium 4
Number of Processors 1
Processor Clock Speed 2800 Mhz
Graphics Description NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
Memory Installed 1024 MBs
Memory Slots 2 slots
Memory Configuration 512+512;DIMM SDRAM Synchronous
Drive Name ©
Drive Size © 114470 MBs
Drive Format © NTFS
Drive Name (F) IOMEGA_250
Drive Size (F) 238414 MBs
Drive Format (F) FAT32
CD-RW Model PHILIPS DVD6002
CD-RW Read Speed 5645 KB/sec (32X)
CD-RW Write Speed 2117 KB/sec (32X)
Monitor Model Gateway 5366
Monitor Resolution 1600 x 1200 pixels
Monitor Screen Size 16 x 10.1 inches
18.9 inches (diagonal)
Monitor Manufacture Date December 2006
Monitor Serial Number 16843009

Installed Hardware
If a number is shown in the Code column, it means the device is not functioning normally. An explanation of error codes can be found in Microsoft article 310123.

Class Vendor Product Code
1394 Texas Instruments Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
CDROM PHILIPS DVD6002
DiskDrive WDC WD1200BB-60CJA1
DiskDrive HDS72252 5VLAT80 USB Device
DISPLAY NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
fdc Standard Floppy Disk Controller
FloppyDisk Floppy disk drive
hdc Primary IDE Channel
hdc Secondary IDE Channel
hdc Intel Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Media Analog Devices, Inc. SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Modem CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Net Microsoft 1394 Net Adapter
Net Intel Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Ports ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Ports Communications Port (COM1)
Processor Intel Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
System PCI bus
System Microsoft Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
System Intel Intel® 82801DB PCI Bridge - 244E
System Intel Intel® 82801DB LPC Interface Controller - 24C0
System Intel Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV/E Processor to I/O Controller - 2560
System Intel Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV/E Processor to AGP Controller - 2561
USB Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller 28
USB Intel Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
USB Intel Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
USB Intel Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
USB USB Root Hub
USB USB Root Hub
USB USB Root Hub
USB Compatible USB storage device USB Mass Storage Device

Rankings
Pit Score
Category Typical
Value Your
Value Weight Weighted
Score World
Rank
CPU 5023
MIPS 5613
MIPS 0.100 561 Bottom 30%
RAM 6361
MB/sec 5540
MB/sec 0.100 554 Bottom 30%
Video 141
MP/sec 150
MP/sec 4.000 598 Top 36%
3D Video 63
fps 56
fps 0.100 6 Bottom 12%
Disk 38
MB/sec 40
MB/sec 5.000 200 Top 42%
Internet 1665
Kb/sec 5257
Kb/sec 0.200 200 Top 43%
Total 2100 2119 Bottom 42%
Performance AnalysisPit Rankings
Area Your PC Rank
Processor Clock Speed Intel Pentium 4
2800 Mhz Top 16%
Memory Installed 1024 MB Top 50%
Total Storage Space 344.61 GB Top 21%

Results from similar systems
The table below shows average scores for systems with similar clock speed to yours. The first row represents the current score for this system. Note that AMD and Intel systems often perform very differently at the same clock frequency; AMD uses a "processor rating" for many of their CPUs rather than the actual clock MHz.

CPU
Type Clock
MHz # PCs
Tested CPU
Score Memory
Score Disk
Score
Intel Pentium 4 2789 (yours) 5613 5540 40
AMD Athlon 64 4000 2800 19 10153 10917 55
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 2800 39 9967 10846 68
Intel Celeron 2800 688 4866 5027 37
Intel Pentium 4 2800 6236 5023 6361 38
Intel Pentium D 2800 83 7653 6819 43
Intel Xeon 2800 18 6074 8138 47

Best video results for similar PCs
This table shows the best average scores we have recorded for a particular video board and driver for systems with a CPU and MHz similar to yours. The first row represents the current score for this system. Remember that PC Pitstop's test measures 2D performance; the speed of a particular board on 3D applications such as games may be very different. Also, video performance and system reliability can vary greatly as a function of the drivers that are being used. A driver that provides the highest score may not provide the best image quality and/or system stability. (You can use Driver Alert to see if you have the latest driver.)

Video
Score 3D
Score Bits /
Pixel # PCs
Tested Video board and driver description
150 56 32 (yours) NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
224 216 32 87 Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family
218 168 32 37 Intel® 82915G Express Chipset Family
216 227 32 13 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
216 203 32 10 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (Microsoft Corporation)
208 172 32 1064 Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
176 564 32 12 RADEON 9800 SERIES
175 589 32 10 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
172 73 32 20 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (Microsoft Corporation)
170 109 32 70 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation)
169 224 32 19 NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600
161 261 32 11 SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS
159 194 32 11 NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600 (Sony)
157 583 32 19 RADEON 9800 PRO
155 90 32 11 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (Dell)
154 330 32 33 ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700
152 55 32 1650 Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
150 80 32 14 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
148 73 32 108 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
147 223 32 39 ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series
144 105 32 19 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Dell)
142 341 32 15 ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series
141 290 32 17 ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
141 63 32 16 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
140 198 32 46 ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series
139 238 32 52 RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory