Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying new laptop: Mac v.s. Windows

• Please log in to reply

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello everyone,

Im in the process of purchasing a new laptop. And i have highly considered purchasing a Mac laptop, just because i started using them for 4 hours a day ever since my university had recieved a whole shippment of them in our library. I just wanted to know(aside from the window jokes) what will my problems be if i switch over. Like the programs i am currently running, such as VNC, vlc, google crome,etc(just at the top of my head, referring to programs i normally use on a normal basis), will they work on a mac. I am just wondering, can i open an .exe file like usual and expect it to work. I know mac dosent lack anything, it just gives you programs out of the box for specific tasks and they work period. But i would also like to install some applications i am used to over my years of using windows. If anyone has reciently made that switch, please feel free to comment on the topic explaining your experiences.And if anyone has any knowlidge of currently being a current mac user, what did you find different. I know Mac has word(mac version) and the whole suit, which is great. But what will i be missing out, and based on the prices for mac, is it going to be worth it to loose all that compatibility. Compatibility is a large issue since i am going to be switching files back and forth between mac and windows. So another question pops up: What are the compatibility issues in switching?

Ok well if anyone has something to add to this would be greatly appreciated
P.s. Please keep the Mac/windows jokes to a low lol, but i know you wont be able to resist.:)

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
No Windows/Mac jokes here. :)

I don't a whole lot about Mac's and Mac's VS Windows. But I do know that when you go to a Mac most of the keyboard shortcuts are different.

Ex in Windows: Copying/Pasting=(Ctrl+C)/(Ctrl+V)

That was the fact part, here is my theory on programs. I know that when you download programs, there is usually an option for XP/Vista, 98/ME, Linux, and then Mac. Or something like that. So I think that if you switch programs over some of them might not work correctly, for compatibility reasons.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yeah, i tried to use the copy and paist...it took some time to learn the command key(uncomfortable compared to mac) but yes the sad part is loosing all the apps your used to. i guess its all part of being a mac user, its simplicity. hmm, But for a decent mac, aprox 1500, would you get a mac compared to the high end windows laptops? in my issue price isnt much of a deal(dont want to spend like 2200, but you get the idea). Thanks for the comment, have you ever used a mac, i just dont know how to do stuff. But still not totally convinced whether to go all mac, or stick to windows.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Macs are good if you take the time to learn all the ins and outs of the operating system.

That being said, you may not have the time, or you don't necessarily want to "lose" all of what you already know.

For the sake of convenience, I would recommend going with a Windows computer. Everything will work like you know it does. :)

And no, downloading and installing any old .exe file will not work on a Mac - if you can't find the Mac download, it won't work. You'll have to get used to different programs that achieve that same outcome.

Troy

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
No, I have never used a Mac. :)

Glad I could Help.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Omg, The new macs are hitting the laptop scene! WOw, cant wait. I was kind of waiting for something like this to turn up. All aluninum. If you havent checked out the lastest mac lineup i recomend you go check it out and comment here. Well, the price is relativly good to, 1300? or the 1600 for the second model. Now, there are the macbook pro's which is useless to drop $2000 as im not even sure i want a mac, because i will loose functionallity between home and my school work. So any thoughts on that

Now lets look at my opportunity cost(lol economics) the next best alternative given up. I did want a decent graphics card and mac does offer an updates Geforce 9400 i believe. what are the stats on that? will i be able to play AoE3 or COD4? with the second hand macbook.Ok so the opportunity cost is the Alienware computers. Are those really worth the cost. As they are similar to the macs in price(LOl they do mAjor price markups, just windows version) but they do offer options such as back lit keyboard, etc which i havent found in other laptops in the 1200 dollar range.. or 1500. So is it now worth it to go for a 1500 alienware? or the Mac 1600? Or are their any othe alternatives to this? thanks for the help you guyz:D appreciate it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Macs (especially the new intel based ones) can actually run A LOT of the same programs that windows can (even office) and if you want to get squirrely you can even run windows on a mac.

the biggest problem that i have with macs is that they are very proprietary in the hardware department (slightly less so with the intel systems but still more than needed) ...if something breaks on a NON-Mac computer you just run down to bestbuy and get what you need and put it in yourself. if something breaks on a Mac you have to take it to a Mac store to get it fixed. of course with most laptop issues you'll probably want a competent person working on it anyway...but it's the principle of the thing....

also...how hard is it really to make a mouse that can right click? they've had how many years to figure that out? but they don't because "right clicking isn't the apple way"..

plus i can't stand apple's marketing strategy...are you a Mac or a PC? guess what buddy a Mac is a PC! and their OS is no more stable than XP is when properly used. Leopard had about as many issues as Vista did when it was released but more people were complaining about vista because more people were using it.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

guess what buddy a Mac is a PC!

Yes, Macs are also Programable Controlers (pc does not stand for personal computer).
If the system board battery goes bad a Mac will not boot.
The battery is only about $18.00, but you have to open the case to get to it (and move some stuff out of the way).
This is something that is not covered under warrenty, and can happen at any time.

Joe Gran

Joe Gran

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Go with a mac if you want, you can always dual boot windows vista or xp and on your free time learn the mac software.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The Hardware upgrade is quite a problem; But how often to macs end up being reformated(imaged) or being upgraded. I mean the new macbook ($1600) im pretty sure you wont have to upgrade that thing anytime soon. It comes with decent specs(as the price speaks for its self).Yes the right click, well i find myself having to force opening a new browser, as if you click on safari, it takes you to the window you have already opened. But then again i dont find myself using a mac as intensivly as a windows computer; by that i mean having 7 windows open and searching through my HD at the same time. I feel restricted when using a mac, half of the time not knowing how to do something, but also because it makes you work within its boundaries(the magic of the OS).

Does anyone have any comments or knowledge on alienware computers? Are those overrated? Im not really looking for something to do EXTREME gaming with, But just wanted some features that mac offers on a Windows based computer(and installing windows on a mac defeats th purpose of having a mac). Some recomendations would be good for around the 1300-1400 range. Im not so worried about price, just features that mac computers have are hard to find in a windows based computer(backlit keyboard, auto diming,etc.). I know i wont find many of these features because this leads me back to the mac direction, but if you have any recomendations it would be perfect.Also please comment on the Alienware if you are able to find anything, or have heard speculations on them. Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
noob4lyfe, if gaming is your interest than MAC is not going to be the direction to go. When it comes to $1000+ gaming machines I could not recommend system building enough. I don't spend much time in the System Building and Upgrading forums these days but there are many users there would be more than happy to assist you in picking out parts for the system.

On top of that I would go with a dual boot solution of Ubuntu + Windows (ALL of my computers have some flavor of Linux but only my gaming machines have Windows). With that being said you should mention that in the System Building and Upgrading forums if that is something that you would like to do because Intel/Nvidia does considerably better than AMD/ATI on a Linux machine.

It really is the best of both worlds.

Good luck.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Wooh, Im sry i talking about Laptops.cant upgrade those much. But Im not looking for some killer machine to game with. At the end of the day im going to be doing just the simple msword, updating my ipod etc. But once in a while it would be nice to play a game or 2, without the lag. Im not sure how much these games expect from the videocards. So is anything better than built-in good enough? or should i be looking for something in specific. For the laptop its self, i wanted features such as a mac, which i have found in the alienware, but WOW the prices. Plus non of them weigh less than 7 lbs. thats not going to be fun lugging that around back and forth to school everyday:s. So im looking for similar features, just would also like the ability for some gaming. And Alienware<? any comment, is there another brand or model that have similar features to those??

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The weight is really a non-issue. Get a good laptop backpack and you wont notice any difference in heft. When I switched from shoulder bag to backpack it really changed my feelings on the subject.

There are so many limitations with a Mac, it doesn't make sense to me why someone would want one. Costly initial investment, proprietary hardware, the uncanny urge to grow your hair and wear it in a ponytail.

If you are interested in the alienware, I recommend you peek at the Dell XPS systems. Mostly the same options, without the alien logo, and without the alien pricetag.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The Hardware upgrade is quite a problem; But how often to macs end up being reformated(imaged) or being upgraded. I mean the new macbook ($1600) im pretty sure you wont have to upgrade that thing anytime soon

....MACs need to be upgraded with the same frequency as a non MAC computer...Apple isn't ahead of the curve on hardware innovation...(they actually tend to lag behind on innovation)...you only need to upgrade a computer when it no longer fits your needs....if all you do is word processing and you've got a computer that was built in 97 that still does the job....why upgrade? the only reason is because you want to not because you need to...if the machine does the job required and still works then there's no need to change it.

you see a LOT more people in the non-MAC world upgrading/replacing more often because it's easier.....you could probably get a non-MAC laptop with the same (or better) specs as the MAC for A LOT cheaper and still never have to upgrade it as long as it does the job that you want...

as far as "reformatting" ....you only need to do that if you mess the system up....if you know how to work on a computer it's never needed

The weight is really a non-issue. Get a good laptop backpack and you wont notice any difference in heft. When I switched from shoulder bag to backpack it really changed my feelings on the subject.

seconded...i LOVE my dell backpack....i usually forget that i've got a computer hanging off my back

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'll third that about a proper backpack. Now that I'm in uni, I wanted a proper backpack so I could fit all my books in it as well. I got a really good "Targus" backpack for about $100 AUD. It came with a separate notebook bag that the computer fits in, and then you put that in the backpack. So it's got two thick pads between it and the outside world.

If I was to be looking for a new notebook now, I'd be looking at a netbook instead. Small, cheap, and portable, plenty powerful enough for 90% of my uses. Something like the MSI Wind, my mate bought one recently and it cranks along nicely.

Troy

Edited by Troy, 27 October 2008 - 07:50 AM.