Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying new laptop: Mac v.s. Windows

• Please log in to reply

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Maybe try the Dell Inspiron XPS M1530. A low end setup would cost about $1200. My preferred setup would cost about $1400. One thing you need to look at is that some of the upgrades are free. Like going from 2 GB RAM to 3 GB RAM is free, along with the Adobe Photoshop, ext. As far as the glowing keyboard, I have no clue who offers that feature. However, the dimming lights for the screen should be a standard option.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I'll third that about a proper backpack. Now that I'm in uni, I wanted a proper backpack so I could fit all my books in it as well. I got a really good "Targus" backpack for about $100 AUD. It came with a separate notebook bag that the computer fits in, and then you put that in the backpack. So it's got two thick pads between it and the outside world.

I have an Ogio backpack that's incredible. It has tons of space and a nice padded compartment for my laptop.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ogio, haven't heard of them before.

If you wanna checkout a brand that provides lifetime warranty and has a most awesome website, visit Crumpler. It's Australian.

I don't mean it as :) of course, they're very expensive and I probably wouldn't recommend them, but dude they have a cool website. Perhaps I'll email them if they're interested in me doing a review for their bag and putting it on the home page, now that I'm staff. :)

I know we're getting a bit off-topic here, but for portability, you do want to invest in a decent bag that's going to protect it for you - and be comfortable for you to move it around.

The Dell XPS laptops are nice, I'm also a sucker for ASUS laptops, I reckon they're great. What was the budget you're looking at, I'll check a few out for you if you like.

Troy

Bennie_boy

Bennie_boy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i'd go with a mac, given the current problems with vista and such, macs are great, cant remember the last time i used one but yeah :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i'd go with a mac, given the current problems with vista and such, macs are great, cant remember the last time i used one but yeah

....so you can't remember when the last time you used a MAC was....but you're still saying that their current operating system/computer is better than any alternative?.....sounds a little silly to me

i don't know when the last time i wore underoos was...but by god i remember them being comfortable...maybe you should wear those instead of hanes

Bennie_boy

Bennie_boy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i was commenting from the point of view that i've always used microsoft OS and given the general consensus towards vista, and the reviews and comments, i've not seen anything like that coming from applemacs or wotnot, so i think it's a fair assumption that the mac OS and computer in general would be a better choice :)

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

i was commenting from the point of view that i've always used microsoft OS and given the general consensus towards vista, and the reviews and comments, i've not seen anything like that coming from applemacs or wotnot, so i think it's a fair assumption that the mac OS and computer in general would be a better choice :)

I don't want to attack you on this, but this is really a bad way to decide what is a better choice... What you have here is a huge bundle of misconception, hype, exageration, false advertising, irrelevant facts, outdated facts, and other such things MIXED with some actually useful information. Can you actually list any reasons why Macs are better?

The only time you should switch to a new OS is if you have the intellectual ability to switch and/or the time to get used to the new OS. For example, a manual transmission is viewed as superior to automatic. However, what would happen if you threw a person in the mix that doesn't know how to drive a manual? All of a sudden the automatic is a superior choice until they learn how to drive a manual.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I'll third that about a proper backpack. Now that I'm in uni, I wanted a proper backpack so I could fit all my books in it as well. I got a really good "Targus" backpack for about $100 AUD. It came with a separate notebook bag that the computer fits in, and then you put that in the backpack. So it's got two thick pads between it and the outside world.

If I was to be looking for a new notebook now, I'd be looking at a netbook instead. Small, cheap, and portable, plenty powerful enough for 90% of my uses. Something like the MSI Wind, my mate bought one recently and it cranks along nicely.

Troy

Ohh not off topic at all. Just 4 months ago, i purchased a Swissgear Backpack it also comes with the lifetime warrenty as you stated. And it has a place for the laptop,and even comes with a cushion,incase you somehow forget the laptop is in there and drop it:D. The Backpack is amazing, and cost half as much as the Targus in CND, Also Weighless. Sometimes i have 2 textbooks with binders inside it and i forget that im carring all that weight. Its "Ortho" support system :s supposed to be good for your back.But im soo glad i purchased one of these, just in case i needed to purchase a laptop *Coughh*.

Just one problem with it. Its sooo Big, yes even when you have one binder it makes you look like you have atlease 20kg of weight inside. I can squeeze the air out of the bag,but then it goes back to the same shape:s. Swiss should invent something to keep these backpacks tight to the material/content inside!

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Maybe try the Dell Inspiron XPS M1530. A low end setup would cost about $1200. My preferred setup would cost about $1400. One thing you need to look at is that some of the upgrades are free. Like going from 2 GB RAM to 3 GB RAM is free, along with the Adobe Photoshop, ext. As far as the glowing keyboard, I have no clue who offers that feature. However, the dimming lights for the screen should be a standard option.

Yes you hit right on the money, I was looking for a laptop in the $1400 Price range. That would be great if you could find me some recomendations. I would also like some light gaming once in a while such as AOE3, COD4 etc. I dont kno if the laptops in that range can handle that at mid settings, as im not to familar with graphic cards in laptops/or PC infact. But nothing like a KILLER gaming laptop, but something decent that i works for both. How are laptops vs game requirements ? Do they allow you to play a lag free game?; refering to the laptops whom have just better than built-in graphics card :)

Thanks in advance

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Like I said, I like ASUS - this one looks sheer madness :)

Troy

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It may just be me, but I've never understood why people buy Macs just to install Windows on them? I mean, why not just get a Windows PC in the first place, it'd be a heck of a lot cheaper. I'll be the first to admit, them I'm no fan of apple for a variety of reasons. Dsnette mentioned one of my biggest beefs about apple, everything has to be mac specific if you want to install new hardware (e.g. RAM upgrade) and so on. Additionally, I find apple is increasingly building notebooks (who am I kidding, all of their products, this doesn't just apply to notebooks) around looks, rather then building something for functionality. Did you know that the apple air doesn't have a ethernet port, has no optical drive and only has one USB port to accommodate everything that it's missing? I think I'd spare the additional .2" thickness and buy myself a Lenovo x300.

As I have already stated, I'm not a fan of Apple, but you need to look where your priorities are and not let my own or anyone else's affect your decision, afterall Mac may be good for you and suit your needs. One good thing about Macs is that once you get your laptop, everything is pre-installed. No need to look around for plugin's, video editing software and so on, it's already there. This has it's upside and down side. For me I don't like it, because I already own the software that Apple provides on it's Macs and the hassle to install a few plug-in isn't enough to justify the steeper price you pay for a laptop that shares the same specs as a comparable PC. That being said, you may find your needs are the complete and utter opposite and what apple offers will best suit your needs. This is the good thing about competitive markets, we can evaluate what's on a market and decide what suits our needs best.
My suggestion to you is, if you are already familiar with PC (I'm assuming you are) go to a apple store and try out some demo units to get a feel for what you may be purchasing and talk to a product consultant there to get a better idea about your possibilities. If you do go to a mac store, do not buy anything that exact day as you may find out that you'll regret your purchase. The people at those mac shops have a tendency of stretching the truth a little bit by stating that Macs are better then PCs in every way and that they are immune to virus' (impossible). One sales person dragged my two of my friends into buying one by spreading lies and stretching the truth. Apple is alive today because of one thing, Steve Jobs is a marketing genius.

Lastly, keep in mind that Macs are not intended to be gamed on, no matter what anyone states (lacks the DX10 API and no Mac on the market have up to date graphics hardware) and if you are purchasing a computer based on looks, I suggest you look at some of the new products coming out from HP. IMO, the out shell or chassis of a laptop should never affect your decision on what to buy. Then again, I'm all about functionality over forum :)
James

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

IMO, the out shell or chassis of a laptop should never affect your decision on what to buy. Then again, I'm all about functionality over forum

Like everyone is pretty much stating, everyone has their own specific wants and needs. If the design of the laptop is important to you, then you definately want to take that into consideration. It is just a matter of when you take that into consideration. Mainly, you consider the looks after you've looked at specs and prices.

On a side note, Best Buy is now a supplier of Apples, so if you have one nearby, go in and play around.