Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win32.netbooster

• Please log in to reply

pfrazer

pfrazer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
good morning,

i have contracted win32.netbooster over the weekend, seem to have picked it up through a peer to peer download, video which required a codec to download.

symptoms of my computer are as follows.

- i have several error messages which say i have this thing on my machine and i should click here to download cleaners and fixers for this. i get error messages saying i have this virus and to click here to download fixes, i switch of my modem and i get offline internet messages.

- i now have three icons on my dekstop which i have never seen before, malware cleaner, pc cleaner and another about system fixer.

- when i boot my computer normally it takes hours to get to the deskop. when booting normally i cant do anything with it, cant access task manager, my computer or any programs. the speed of the machine doesnt allow me to do any work as it eventually freezes up.

- i cant start the machine i safe mode using the f8 mode. it just keeps rebooting itself.

- i can put in a windows xp disc and get to a c:\ using the recovery method but cant seem to do anything.

- i have tried to open msconfig and change the boot mode to safe mode, but as above it just keeps freezing up.

i no what i need to do, get computer running in safe mode and then use my anti virus to fix it. i have CA Internet suite which includes anti virus and spyware etc etc etc.

i have thought about reinstalling windows into a different folder and seeing if that version would start the machine in sage mode. i am currently running xp pro sp3, but the disk i have is for same but sp2.

any ideas ?? any help would be appreciated !!!!

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hello pfrazer

Welcome to G2Go. :)
=====================

• Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)

pfrazer

pfrazer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for that. will do that tonight and see how i go. getting to the desktop is the problem though, as it is so so so painful slow and locks up.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
OK we will see how it goes.

pfrazer

pfrazer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
didnt have much success last night. i could get my current installation of windows to work, cant boot into safe mode and cant even get to the desktop in any fashion. it wont even boot into safe mode at the command prompt, it just keeps rebooting itself when i try for safe mode.

i spat the lala's and did another installation of windows into a different folder, i have a version of xp pro sp2 on disk and installed that. that at least got me back into a desktop and i can retrieve my important documents.

i cant however access any of my programs ! ie ms office and my anti virus.

perhaps i should download a new free antivirus, install it on the desktop i do have and do a scan ?? that in theory should clean my system and allow me to use my other windows installation ?? sp pro sp3.

sound good ??

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hmm sounds like a mess is it possible to just backup and re-install because you basically installed windows but just in a different location.

When you install something else it will basically install on top of the other program
all of the other items that were installed before probably wont work correctly either.

In my opinion I would just back up my files etc and then do a complete re-install and re-implment your docs,files.

Let me know if you cannot do that or would like to continue to clean your pc.