Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition RAM to graphics

• Please log in to reply

WildMan279

WildMan279

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, so I have an HP Pavilion dv6985se laptop, which windows internally recognizes as a dv6700 (it even says that on the bottom of the computer)
I have 4 gigs of RAM and windows vista home premium 64 bit to use all of it (32 bit can only recognize around 3.5GB)
As with many of the mid range laptops, this computer has an integrated intel graphics chipset, which in turn gives poor graphics performance in 3D games.
I was looking through some of the various system information pages (vista has a lot of them) and it said that it had no designated graphics memory, just shared system memory.

So, I was wondering if there was a way that I could "partition" some of my main RAM (I rarely have a commit of more than 2GB) to be reserved as graphics memory.
If this is possible, would it be very practical (i.e. could I have better graphics performance in 3D games line Halo or Unreal Tournament 2004)

Thank you for any help

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Have you looked in the BIOS to increase the shared system memory.