Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

latidah

latidah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Love those pictures and video's of my grandchildren. I now have no room left on my 80 GB hard drive. I bought a 250GB external hd and want to move all those picts and videos over.

I still want to be able to access them as if it was on my original HD. I want to be able to click on my picture or video program from my home page and go right to the program and picts on the external HD.

Help!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome!

So your new 250GB external hard drive is installed and ready to go?

I should think the best option for you would be to move the folders and files in their existing structure over to the external hard drive, and then create a shortcut on your desktop that points to the new location.

Does this idea sound good? Are you thinking of something different?

Troy

latidah

latidah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Troy,

Thanks for your reply. You are right. I want to transfer the functionality of my Kodak and Image Mixer programs and the pics and video to the new drive. I do not want the functionality to change. When I click on the Kodak and Image Mixer icon's, I want to go directly to the program and pictures as if they were on the original drive.

Thanks

latidah

latidah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Troy,

The external HD is installed and ready to go.

latidah

latidah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Troy,
I am ready for your instructions.

Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi latidah,

As I am not familiar with these programs, you'll have to work this one out yourself.

As a suggestion, I would create two folders on the new external hard drive - label one Videos, and the other, Pictures.

Then navigate to where your current files are (my best guess would be in the My Documents folder somewhere), select them all and, from the Edit menu, select Cut.

Then navigate to the new folder (on the external hard drive), and select, from the Edit menu, Paste.

You will need to do this once for each folder - Pictures and Videos. (And any other documents or files you wish to transport over).

Then you will need to open the programs, Kodak and Image Mixer, and see if they still work. You may need to "direct" the program to find the new location of your pictures and videos.

Perhaps somebody with more experience using these programs, will reply for you.

Cheers

Troy