Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Personal Setting Issues

• Please log in to reply

j3t

j3t

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hiya guys, hoping you all can help me. I was browsing the web and a blue screen appeared. I shut down my computer and I booted onto my name. When i logged on my personal settings (ie. desktop icons, wallpaper, user settings on all my programs) were gone. It is almost as if i logged on a guest account however there are no other accounts on the user list. When i go into my drive c:\documents and settings\ from my computer, i can see my account "Dave" and all my files under that user. That is my administrator account and the only account i use on this computer. There is also a "Dave.R-D0ED58688BDC4" in the documents and settings folder and that appears to be the account i a logged into. Basically what im trying to say is, when i log onto my account "Dave" i do not get any of my user settings. I'm guessing a virus had done something to my registry or something that when i logged onto my account it does not load my settings. I have done all virus scans and my computer is clean right now and i'm looking if anyone has a fix to my problem.
All help is appreciated and thanks alot!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try System Restore?

j3t

j3t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There are no System Restore Points available. PS. Im running windows XP sp2.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
What do you have for virus/malware/spyware. Could very well be a virus. Please visit the malware forum (link in signature). Do what you can. Be patient, they are quite busy.

j3t

j3t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have run Mwba, Superantispyware, combofix, and regcure. I believe i have removed all viruses/malware/spyware from my computer. One of the viruses i deleted was in my registry under"WINLOGON", so that very well may have messed up some settings but i have removed the virus.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
If I were you I would #1 Backup my docs and settings. #2 Create a new user account named Dave, then restore the documents and settings \ dave use folder.

You may have to setup new options in programs and such. But it should work out just fine. If it is worth it to you I would also recommend visiting the malware section of these forums and following the steps to post a hijack log. This will ensure you are virus free so that future issues do not persist. I have heard of this happening to people in general for no reason at all.

j3t

j3t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, that sounds like the best idea. I am going to try this when i get home http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151. I'll let you all know how it works when i'm home. Thanks for the replies ;]

j3t

j3t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, it worked perfectly. Thanks again for the help guys

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Good to hear !!