Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD Error : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

josy

josy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Initially I got this BSOD error "STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86508E30, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I have googled and based on suggestion
a) I have inserted Windows XP and selected R for recovery option.
b) Typed "chkdsk /r" at command prompt
c) After scanning for 54%, it has thrown an error due to file partmgr.sys in it saying that the drivers unloaded without cancelling pending operations
d) again if i reboot i am getting the original "Unmountable_Boot_volume" error

Please advise what should I do to resolve this?

Background:My system is DELL XPS M140. I donot have windows XP restore CD. I have tried with my friend's DELL INSPIRON's windows XP cd.

Advertisements

Everway9

Everway9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How old is your hard drive?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
In the recovery console you can also try the commands "FIX BOOT" then type EXIT and see what you get. If it persists you can also try "FIX MBR".

chkdsk /r will attempt to find and recover corrupt files and else. Directly your "Unmountable Boot Volume" messages refers to the fact that the computer cannot find the drive to boot to and/or the drive to boot to contains no information about what to boot to. The above FIX BOOT command should fix that.

Also make sure you have no USB flash drives or anything of that sort inserted into the computer. They can also cause this message as a computer can try to boot to a USB drive and if it contains no boot information it can stop the computer.

Else it may be a failing hard drive. But I'd start with the above. If you do get it working, please remember to backup your information.