Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Core 2 duo.

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OS. Windows XP.
Hi.
:)

Another novice needing help please. Building a new system but have already got stuck. Almost decided on an Asus P5Q Deluxe but choosing the CPU, Intel E8400, have the option of stepping CO or EO. I do not know the difference between them. Would it matter which? If so, whitch one?
Would like to post the full specs later for any suggestions.

Thenks.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The E0 stepping is a newer stepping which allows for higher overclocking using less voltage than the C0 stepping. Due to the fact that it uses less voltage, the E0 stepping E8400s will also run a bit cooler, so even if you won't be overclocking, I'd still recommend the E0 stepping (assuming the price is similar).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Assuming you are not overclocking, buy what ever is cheapest as you won't notice a difference between the two chips. If you are overclocking, the E0 CPU will give you a little additional headroom over the C0 stepping CPU, though I personally wouldn't pay any more for the newer stepping.
James

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Thank you for your help, I now know about stepping. Will be going for the EO as it does not cost more.

iammykyl.