Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98-Compaq Deskpro- No Audio

• Please log in to reply

sassysarah8974

sassysarah8974

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Geeks who help for free eh? Well...I may as well let y'all know that I'm useless when it comes to the actual fixing and anything that has to do with the guts of a computer. I just like to use it. My sound disappeared. Everything to do with sound seems to have up and disappeared. I don't know what I did or how to get it back but it's really driving me nuts. There isn't even the little volume control icon anywhere anymore. I know the [bleep] thing can make sounds because I've heard it make little beeps and popping noises from time to time. Help....please....or I'm going to slowly melt the whole thing, monitor included into a nice bubbling pile of goo. And that would be a waste of good lighter fuel and/or matches.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose DEVICE MANAGER....any yellow !s?

sassysarah8974

sassysarah8974

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
there's one on something called advanced power management support but that's the only one i see. i don't know...maybe i should just melt the whole thing, i have issues with everything on this stupid machine lol. if i could afford it i'd buy myself a spiffy new one with perfect everything and then i'd take this heap into my parking lot and beat it.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Please don't talk that way. At least try to let us help!
Now, you said the little sound icon had gone away? That could be the whole problem you know. That the volume isn't turned up. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control. This is the case sometimes so just check.
Edit: That's how to in XP/2k. I don't have a 98 machine handy at the moment, so someone please?

Edited by jake6535, 04 May 2005 - 07:29 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
basically the same, just programs, not all programs

sassysarah8974

sassysarah8974

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried that. When I go to the volume control and click on it, nothing happens, it LOOKS like something's going to happen but it doesn't.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Have you tried using the Windows Help Troubleshooter? If not click on Start and then Help under the Contents Tab click on Troubleshooting. Now click on Windows 98 Troubleshooters, finally click on sound to start the sound troubleshooter. In the right panel you should see a list with the heading "What problem are you having?" pick the one closest to your problem, like "I don't hear sounds in my program" and then click the Next button at the bottom of the panel. You'll get a suggestion to try, try it but perhaps write it down or otherwise document it. Keep going till you fix it or just decide iTroubleshooter prob can't fix it.

Since you are running Windows 98 it is pretty common for the Troubleshooter to be "broken", unfortunately Windows Updates can do that and allegedly a few other programs (regclean for example). I hope that's not the case but maybe i can help if it is.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Also you may be able to get your volume control icon back by going to Control Panel and clicking Multimedia, under the Audio Tab be sure the box beside "Show volume control on the taskbar" is checked. While I had the Multimedia Properties Window opened I'd look under the Devices Tab to see if everything looked right. Look around here but Don't change anything tho unless you know what you are doing.