Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samm - I'm baaaaack (was: Blue Screens, etc.)

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...

Advertisements

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Here we go again. Got the Corsair sticks and installed them. After only a few minutes I got yet another stop
error shut down. Memtest showed thousands of errors. Began pulling the modules one at a time and running
memtest. This time the offender turned out to be one of the 1GB sticks installed 6-7 months ago and which
had tested good multiple times in recent weeks. Cascading memory failure?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Began pulling the modules one at a time and running
memtest. This time the offender turned out to be one of the 1GB sticks installed 6-7 months ago

are you saying any of the old sticks were installed along with the 2 new sticks...
pull all the ram except the new ram

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When I originally began having stop errors, the machine had the OEM 512Mb + an additional 2Gb which had been
added earlier this year. Running memtest with one stick at a time removed, it showed that one of the OEM 256Mb
sticks was causing the errors. I replaced that stick with what I thought would be a compatible 256Mb DDR SDRAM
PC3200 CL3 module. Upon installation memtest showed 0 errors, but later the stop error shut downs started
again. I removed the 2x256Mb modules and replaced them with 1Gb corsairs and installed them along with the
2Gb which had been working fine, but, almost immediately began having stop errors again. Memtest showed the
problem to be in one of the 1Gb sticks this time, so I have been operating without it for a few days. No more
problems except that setup shows the 2G total to be operating at 333MHz single channel in spite of all being
PC3200 400MHz. If I take out the remaining 1G stick and leave only the new corsairs my ram is cut back to 1G but
400MHz dual channel. Memtest continues to show 0 errors either way.

My senior moment has been expanded all out of proportion. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just leave the new corsairs in ...SELL the other sticks on craigslist or e-bay or to someone else...
DO NOT MIX BRANDS OF RAM...unless you want BSOD's ...

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks, happyrock. Wish I'd had the foresight to check before I started adding modules.
Will it be okay to replace the discarded 2G with a pair of corsairs?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...just make sure they are EXACTLY like the ones you have installed...same speed and timings

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.. :)