Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Left Mouse Click Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

hvreynolds

hvreynolds

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I have a Vista Philips Laptop (Service Pack 1). Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU T5250 @1.50Ghz 32-bit Operating System.

I regularly Run Cleap-up and have Norton 360.
I have just run the recommended Malware programme which was clear.

Last week I was on the internet & the computer went a bit slow as it always does when it is either updating Norton or a Windows update is going on. Then for what appears to be no reason the left mouse click button does not work, neither does double tapping the scroll pad.

The mouse moves fine & shortcuts still get highlighted when the mouse goes over them but the left click does not work. The right one seems to be working fine.

When I plug in (via USB) a normal mouse that works without a problem. When I transfer the mouse settings to left handed, what effectively still is the left mouse click does not work either.

As written above, I have run & re-run Norton, I have made sure all windows updates are installed & I have even tried a restore point but that didn't solve the problem. I have also uninstalled the touch pad along with its software, but when it was automatically recognised & re-installed the problem remains.

I can only assume when the computer was updating it has downloaded a virus with it or something that has caused so form of conflict within Vista.

I am really grateful for your help.

Thank you

Hannah

p.s. if this is posted in the wrong forum please let me know & I will repost it in a different one, Thank you.

Advertisements