Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Ticking noise.. cannot make recovery disk..

• Please log in to reply

katdailey

katdailey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
about a month ago i started getting a message everytime i shut off my computer
( the instruction at 0x0000000 cannot terminate)...something like that....anyways last week my computer started making a ticking noise and getting very slow.
I tried making recovery disks but my computer says there isnt enough room on recovery drive D...
I just want to know if i can fix it and how...do i need a new hard drive?....I have online classes and i just want to fix it before it gets worse..or move on from it...
Please help
Thank you so much!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the ticking noise is coming from the hard drive it is dying. I have had the same error message from a bad install of Nero 7 burning software on a Compaq computer but did not get any ticking sounds from the computer. I ended up wiping the drive and reinstalling windows and drivers to finally fix the problem( i have no patience with continuous errors). I would save as much data as you possibly can as fast as possible. You may have to reinstall windows if you have to replace the drive. I have had some good luck using Paragon Drive Copy to transfer a complete OS from one drive to another, but the program is mot cheap to buy. You can buy a XP CD for close to the price and you then have a good system recover CD.

SRX660