Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reclaim Memory Not Found

• Please log in to reply

nowthatwasfun

nowthatwasfun

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My brother bought a refurbished PC from a friend of his about two weeks ago. Tonight, he tried to turn it on, and it didn't even boot, it just made a really rough sound and displayed the following (I'm on my laptop next to the computer, so I'm able to copy it exactly):

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
Vista Loader 2.1.2

ACPI: Reclaim Memory not found!
Done!
fallback 1
find --set-root /bootmgr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP

fallback 2
find --set-root /ntldr

Error 17: file not found
Booting 'Enter Command Line'

Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line

So, any thoughts? Is the computer salvageable, or should my brother return it to his friend and ask for his money back?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Looks like a corrupt master boot record. You could try booting from a Vista CD and select, "Repair your computer".

nowthatwasfun

nowthatwasfun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My brother is sending it back to his friend's father so that he can fix it. He has a Vista disk, I'll tell him what you told me.

Just curious, will this erase anything on the computer? My brother has his iPod stuff on there, and he's worried about having to redownload everything.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nope, won't erase any data. :)

nowthatwasfun

nowthatwasfun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you so much! My brother will be very happy.

bsutton1977

bsutton1977

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hiya, I was just wondering what to do if it wont boot the Vista CD as we're having the same problem with my niece's laptop! :) (i'm so glad I stuck with XP as i've had no problems with mine lol)

bsutton1977

bsutton1977

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ignore that last post, i've sussed why it wouldn't boot from disc! :) Just gotta hope I can sort the problem for her now.

alecsutza

alecsutza

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ignore that last post, i've sussed why it wouldn't boot from disc! :) Just gotta hope I can sort the problem for her now.

can u pls tell me why u weren't able to boot from cd? I have the same problem now. the same error apperars and I can't boot from cd...when I put the windows cd in it appears that it's charging and then it remains black...help pls!! :)

Vacuna

Vacuna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also cannot boot from CD and was wondering how to fix this.....i've rearanged the boot devices so as the computer will boot from disc first but to no avail