Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help....BAD

• Please log in to reply

kake-c

kake-c

• Pip
  • 1 posts
alrite....my computer tells me windows cant start up because it is missing a file or a file is corrupt...and then tells me i can attempt to repair the file with windows xp cd....sounds like a easy problem 2 fix right?....the thing is.....MY CD DRIVE WONT WORK!....i mean it turns on....i can get it to eject and everything...but its like my pc doesnt recognize it...i tried plugin in another cd drive...and it doesnt recognize it either...so i figured i chud go 2 my BIOS setup menu and then go to boot and try to fiddle around wit the IDE drives a bit.....BUT MY BIOS SETUP MENU DOESNT EVEN HAVE A BOOT MENU!!!....its not an ordinary BIOS menu....its has Main, Devices, Startup, Adcance, Security, Power, and Exit....u kno how u can usually go to your BIOS setup menu to see which IDE drives are primary or secondary and all dat.....I CANT....does anybody kno how i chud?.... or can somebody tell me how they whud go about installing a cd drive if they had this problem??? props for an answer...

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Kake-C,

An Operating System problem, a drive access problem and a weird BIOS situation all happening at the same time.
Bummer!

I'd start by going back to BIOS and searching carefully through the page options.
I don't remember ever encountering a BIOS that "didn't" have boot order options.
But sometimes it is awkward or confusing to "see" the information.

Of course it could be that the ide ribbon cable has somehow jiggled loose or has a bad cable.

Can you boot into SAFE Mode or SAFE Mode with Command Prompt using F8 while booting?

Please tell us a little more about your machine.
Brand and model, etc.

Best Regards,
Doug