Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts continuously and can not get into safe mode! ple

• Please log in to reply

tiffin

tiffin

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
so the computer was working fine i use windows XP, i accidently tripped over the power cable and obviously shut down the computer. well when we restarted it, it reboots to a black screen that says,

"apologize for the inconvenience windows did not start successfully a sent hardware of software change might have caused this"

it then gives you 4 options to start in safe mode, start in safe mode with networking, start normally and last known configuration. none of these options work, whatever i click into it will start to load windows and then flicker and go back to the black screen... its REALLY annoying =( and can not get into my computer now

any help is VERY appreciated. thanks

Edited by tiffin, 13 October 2008 - 09:57 PM.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Tiffin

Tripping over a power cord or any cord is not only a bummer and dangerous, but can obviously cause problems for your machine's operating system since the sudden loss of power prevents Windows from shutting down normally (a process that allows windows to put various files back to disk and allows the registry to take note of the present configuration.
Sounds like this is what got scrambles.

However, the physical event could also have caused some physical damage.
Did anything noticeable get bent or broken on the outside of the machine or at the power cord connection?
Is this a laptop or desktop?

If a careful physical inspection of your machine concluded that nothing is bent or broken, the instructions below may be of use to you.

Keep us posted with your progress.
We always like to know what finally resolved the situation for future reference and learning.
Also many hundreds of guest readers benefit from reading solutions posted like the ones you'll be developing here in this thread.

Best Regards to you,
Doug

Follow the instruction set below:

You can use the procedure below to gain access to System Restore and set your machine back to a previous point at which the registry and all of the OS system files were present and free of corruption:

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

• Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

gsa.wrk

gsa.wrk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My comp had a Trojan and Tanatos viruses. I removed(?) thm using AVG. But now safe mode is disabled. I tried the steps here ... But safe mode was not enabled. Then I used the msconfig safemode option. Now computer restarts repeatedly. I can neither go to safemode nor normal mode. Please help how to restore normal mode and how to enable safe mode

Thanks in advance