Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

trying to upgrade my ram RRRRRRRR!

• Please log in to reply

bufalo

bufalo

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello and tons of thanks to any that help me.

I have an Acer extensa 560-4020 (also 5620z on the monitor) and have 2 gigs or RAM. I do want more and am told to only put a maximum of 3 gigs because I have a 32 bit system and more than 3 is wasted. Anyway, I've been trying to figure out exactly what I need and seem to come up with serious doubts especially since I want to buy off the net where it can be difficult to return if I buy the wrong thing I believe I need:

ddr2 667 sdram so dimm (dual channel support) - but not sure about how many pins, if it's 5300 or 6700, etc. I tried calling Acer but they are of no help.

Any ideas where I can buy online and what I need specifically?

Thanks!

Advertisements

bufalo

bufalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Forgot to mention, I think this is what I need:

http://www.memorysup...2gbddpc66s.html

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
According to slickdeals.net the max amount of RAM your computer takes is 2GB of DDR2-533, or PC2-4200

RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 2048MB PC-4200 DDR2 RAM (Not Expandable)

I think that this is the RAM you need to be looking at, but I don't know if your computer will take any more.

Edited by jt1990, 14 October 2008 - 07:45 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and let crucial scan your system ...it will tell you exactly what ram you need and the max you can install...its not necessary to buy it from them...just get the specs

bufalo

bufalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the info!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

bufalo

bufalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks! When I asked Acer, they said it wasn't expandable. I did call Acer and they said I could replace one stick with a 2 giger and have a total of 3 Gigs, more than that wouldn't get any use.

Funny, when scanned it said my computer had 0 memory!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Check out CPU-Z. It's a handy little free program that tells you just about everything you ever wanted to know about your RAM and CPU and mobo. It should tell you exactly what you need to upgrade it :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
CPU-Z tells you what you have installed...
it does not tell you what you need to upgrade it or what the mobo even supports

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Even so, if CPU-Z reports a specific type of memory installed, then you know getting more of that type is going to work. :)

Troy