Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro SP3 Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Guys.

I just ran into a problem with my D600, when I try to boot up it says I have a missing or corrupt file (windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb). I have an enclosure that I can get to recognize only half of my laptop's hard drive when I open it on my other computer. The drive is split into two partitions because of a flaw in the Acronis TrueImage program I used when I had a failure with the previous drive. The first partition had all the system files in it & then the second partition I used for personal files. It will recognize & let me into the second half of the hard drive.

I get an option when I try to boot up to attempt a repair with the set-up disc that I never got with my laptop. I have an identical D600 that I can use to get any system files I may need, if at all possible. Down below is a screen print with the offending drive hooked up through an enclosure on my PC. Notice drive H isn't showing a size but the I drive is, both of these drives are technically part of the same hard drive. It's an 80GB drive with 20GB allocated for H & the remainder to the I drive that I have full access to without issues hooked up to the PC. I figure if I can somehow replace/delete the corrupted file I'd be good to go, but I can even get to the log in screen, let alone into the folder the file is in. Any help would be appreicated beyond belief right now.

~Ryan

Posted Image

Edited by TheNorthSideWhiteGuy, 14 October 2008 - 03:26 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you boot in safe mode? Please follow these steps, checking your computer after each one.

1: Try to boot with "last known good configuration"

2: Try to boot in safe mode. If successful run System Restore and restore to a previous date.

3: Try to boot in "safe mode with command prompt". If successful type the following command: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. This will open the system restore option.

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortunately I can't boot in safe mode or any of the other options. Each option, including "last know good config" shoot me right back to the Corrupt of missing file message. At the moment I have CHKDSK running. It's really strange that it won't recognize that first partition even though it's part of the same physical disk. Unfortunately I don't have a start-up disc for this notebook so I can't try the recovery option that's is given with the error message.

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
In CHKDSK in the command box I just saw a "recovering orphaned file drvmain.sdb" among many others. I'm hoping that's a good sign. CHKDSK has been running for a good 15min now.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please post the results, we want to know.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I too am hoping the best is to come of this. Good Luck by the way.

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks guys.
I did get it working...luckily.

CHKDSK ran for almost 4hrs (the HD was hooked up with an IDE cable to a very slow desktop thru a USB 1.0; painful) & fixed TONS of files. Immediately after CHKDSK was done the desktop recognized that the first partition had data on it. So I plugged it into the laptop & tried to boot up but came back with another missing/corrupt file message. This time it wasn't a big deal because my desktop would finally let me access system files & data. At this point I was missing at least the whole AppPatch folder w/files & then entire Fonts folder in Windows as well. I copied those over from my spare D600 laptop & she booted up. Everything worked perfect but my appearance settings were all wacky. It turned out I was missing all but one of my files in the Resources folder that contains the desktop Themes. I copied over all the stock themes as well as my custom one on the other laptop & I've been up & running since.

Sorry it took me almost two days to fill you guys in. The night/morning I was working on it I had been up nearly 48hrs because I stayed up all night working on it instead of sleeping. I have a serious case of OCD when it comes to fixing things.lol. So I'm all caught up with sleep & I'm wondering if I should run another CHKDSK now that the HD is back in the laptop? Or maybe any other checks I should go thru? BTW, I've already done a back-up & made disk images.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. We appreciate that.