Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

littlebigman

littlebigman

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi guys, hoping you may be able to help me out with this.

I've recently upgraded my PC from XP to Vista Ultimate. I partitioned my hard drive using GParted to give me two partitions so i can dual boot XP untill i get used to vista. The install went fine, and vista seems to be running well so far. I have activated it with my product key, so everything is up and runnng without any problems. :)
On the Vista rating screen, my PC is currently showing as having a rating of 2, but this is because of my graphics, which is currently onboard. All other ratings are at least 4.

I figure that i should be ok with my current setup, as i do not use the PC to play games at all, so is there any need to update to a graphics card?

The only issue i have experienced has been that my monitor will occasionally lose the signal from the PC completely. I am sure that this is not to do with my monitor, as when the signal has been lost i have plugged the PC into another monitor, and there has still been no signal. The signal then seems to come back after a while, or rebooting the PC brings back the signal aswel.
Could this be caused by the video card at all?

A final question...what are the best antispyware programs to run on vista? I have tried SpywareGuard, but i dont think its compatable as i get an error when the program runs at start up.
I am already running Avast for anti virus.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,575 posts
Vista is more stressful on your video subsystem. My best guess is that your onboard video is failing. But, first I would be sure to update the video driver to see if that helps.

We currently recommend MBAM as the best free malware removal program.

littlebigman

littlebigman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi admin

Thanks for your help!
I'll try updating the drivers when i get home from work tonight.
The system seems to be running a lot better now, it has "lost the signal" for the last couple of days, so maybe it has sorted itself out.

Thanks for the MBAM link aswell, does MBAM provide on-access protection, or will my antivirus program (avast) look after that for me?
I have the default Vista security still in place anyway, so the system asks me before it installs or runs anything anyway.

Overall, i am really impressed with vista so far...it seems to be running well on my system, i just need to get used to it a little more, after a few years of XP use.

Thanks again!

EDIT: i have just tried to download MBAM from the link given above, and Avast read it as a virus, with the file name http://www.regnow.com/trialware/download/Download_mbam-setup.exe?item=12128-1&affiliate=182327, and the Malware name Win32:Downloader-BVO [Trj].

I the file ok to download? the only option i get from avast is "about connection", which stops the download.

thanks!

Edited by littlebigman, 16 October 2008 - 10:58 AM.

littlebigman

littlebigman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Anyone?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,575 posts
Yes, that download is secure. It's a "false positive" from your antivirus program, which are all too common.

littlebigman

littlebigman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thats great, Thanks Admin :) .