Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

UNDELETABLE FOLDERS

• Please log in to reply

ktwister

ktwister

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I recently extracted two folders onto my desktop. They didn't contain any apps or anything highly sensitive, just a couple avi's. When I went to clean up my desktop, two of the folders would not delete. Everytime I try to delete I get an error message with a message stating, 'file path not specified'. I tried renaming, dragging one folder into the other, dragging into new locations to delete, and even tried pc washer which told me the folder was unable to be deleted due to another source. I tried using msconfig to no avail, and even tried shutting down apps, and then attempting to delete from a command prompt. I even tried altering the registry for a set command and then setting AllowAllPaths, AllowWildCards, & AllowRemovableMedia, and then tried to delete. It told me folder was not empty, so I tried deleting the whole folder with the other folder dragged into it. NO LUCK~!

Out of ideas for the moment. ANY help, please ~?

Advertisements

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I am definitely not an expert BUT I have been successful in deleting some items that were driving me crazy by clicking on PROPERTIES and getting rid of the read only attributes. I was then able to delete.
Hope this helps.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
You try to delete it in safe mode yet?

ktwister

ktwister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
tried both ideas initially. I wish it was that easy.

thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You could try the unlocker.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Install, then right click on the folder, select unlock. It might pop up a window saying there is no lock on the folder, select an action. In the drop down select Delete. I should be gone.

SRX660

ktwister

ktwister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I actually went in and changed a bunch of attributes earlier in dos, and used unlocker. and it WORKED~!
I just came here to update, and saw your advice, SRX660. Obviously, great advice, wished I would've saw it sooner, but I am so relieved I am going to take a nice LOOOONG sleep :)

thanks for all the advice, and help from everyone.