Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot start laptop in any mode

• Please log in to reply

Ibrokeit

Ibrokeit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After looking at the BSOD Stop Code sticky, I still don't really understand what's going on with my computer, so I'm gonig to explain it in hopes that someone can help me.

I have a Dell Inspiron running XP Media Center Edition. Last night, I told it to shut down. I got an "end now" message, but as usual my computer closed it before I could and began shutting down. Well, an hour or so later, I rolled over in bed and saw the light for my external shining so I went over to shut the computer down again. It was stuck on some kind of end now message. I ended it and the computer went into some weird "media center editon" thing. It looked really different than usual and I figured it was an update of some sort (or a virus?).

This morning I turned on the computer and it restarted windows. The windows it showed were different, talking about "media center edition" when they never did before. Right after this, I get the BSOD Stop Code: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, ox8651f288, 0xc000102, 0x000000000).

Since it was the first time I saw the error, I tried to restart the computer, which brought me back to the same blue screen. I tried safemode and last known good configuration, with the same results. After reading the sticky, it would seem I need to use the Recovery Console, but I bought my computer from Dell and they did not send me a copy of the Windows CD. They just sent this lame little paper with a picture of a blue disk with a picture of the XP logo.

Is there anything I can do? I'm pretty much a noob, so please bear with me. Thanks.

Edit: I just found this: http://support.dell....o...&doclang=en

As you can see, it was published in January of this year. I wish that they had informed me that I could do that when I first purchased my laptop. That information is useless to me now.

Edited by Ibrokeit, 14 October 2008 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

* General Discussion {KB 228888} Win 2000, Win XP
http://support.micro...=228888&sd=RMVP

* Caused by Open Handles while closing an application {KB 195857} Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP
http://support.micro...=195857&sd=RMVP

More than likely you can follow this Microsoft fix using the recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

If this does not work you may have to find a retail XP CD and reinstall windows on the laptop.

SRX660

Ibrokeit

Ibrokeit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Thank you. As I wrote earlier, I can't actually start the computer or run anything. The only way I know how to run things is from the start menu. Is there a way of running ChkDsk from the screen that gives me options like "start windows normally, last known good configuration, etc"? That's as far as the computer lets me get before it goes to the blue screen, I can pause it on that screen.

I read through all your links, and it seems that the exact cause of my problem will be hard to pinpoint, so there are a lot of things I could have to do. I defragmented the disk recently and it's probably not physical damage as I hadn't moved it since last night and it was working properly then (but you never know).

I'm also doing a diagnostic boot to run the DST because it was mentioned on the Dell forums as a possible way to solve stop errors. I have no idea what that will turn up; I've never done it before. I feel like I'm grasping at straws. I think I'll call Dell and see if they can give me a copy of the OS CD. I paid for Windows, I'm entitled to the disk.

Edit: Hard drive passed DST, yet issue remains...?

Edited by Ibrokeit, 14 October 2008 - 02:35 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the microsoft chkdsk tutorial.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

OR

Windows XP - Running Checkdisk from a Boot CD

http://kb.wisc.edu/h...age.php?id=5097

SRX660

Ibrokeit

Ibrokeit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again.

I think I'm going to have to run the checkdisk from a boot CD. However, Dell is giving me a hard time about getting a CD because they cannot find my customer data (even though I have my invoice and I'm reading them the numbers directly from it). I'd hate to have to buy one when I already have a legal copy of windows. I'm sure I read it was possible to borrow a cd.

I was thinking I might take my hard drive out, piggyback it to my mom's computer, copy my files to my external, reinstall my hard drive to the laptop, restore to original state, then copy all my files back to the hard drive. Unless there's a problem with the hard drive, that should work, right?

As you can tell, I'm getting confused and desperate. I'm probably making this a bigger deal than it has to be.