Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Krautz

Krautz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
1. Remote desktop tries to reconnect when I disconnect. :)
I click cancel and it sits there "reconnecting" until I close it from the taskbar.

2. If I try to log off only (without disconnecting), the connection soon perishes, and cannot reconnect.

If you reply, please tell me your opinion about both discrepancies.

Advertisements

wiredjack

wiredjack

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It may be worth taking a look at your Remote Desktop connection options.

After you have opened Remote Desktop Connection, select Options >>

Navigate to the Experience tab... is Reconnect if connection is dropped checked?
also
Navigate to the Advanced tab... is Do not connect if authentication fails selected in the Authentication options combo box?

What version of Remote Desktop do you currently have? You can find the version by first loading Remote Desktop Connection and then clicking the RDP icon in the title bar followed by selecting about...

Lastly, I would attempt to reload your Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP (KB925876) available here: http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Also you stated after your connection parishes it cannot connect again... Is this permanent, or does a reboot fix the issue?

Krautz

Krautz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When the connection fails (as I log off), I'm able to remotely connect again immediately.

You're right about leaving "Reconnect if connection is dropped" unchecked. I only figured, "why would it attempt to reconnect as I manually disconnect?"

I'm running 6.0 now, but I'm gonna reload it, and I'm also going to check the version of the local computer. 6.1 is the latest. I'll get back to you.