Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply

patfan4lif

patfan4lif

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
My system shuts down only when running certain programs. I was using HOYLE card games. I have used it many times in the past. Recently when using the program the whole system shuts down without any notice. I have to wait for the system to reboot. My daughter goes to a hannah montanna web site with no problems. When she plays the games at this site the system shuts down. The last problem I have is, I am using a DVD slideshow program. I can spend hours creating the slide show but when I go to Burn just before finishing the system shuts down. It seems that whenever the system shuts down it is just before completing a card game, online game, and now before completing burning a DVD. I feel I have some sort of Virus. Can you help?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm guessing it's an overheating issue. If your're comfortable taking the side off the case, vacuum out any dust bunnies, and inspect the fans for any that aren't operating.

patfan4lif

patfan4lif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
That was my first thought. I did vacuum the inside around the fan. But the problem only occurs while running certain programs. It seems more than a coincidence that the system shuts down just before finishing a program. A good example is the hoyle card game. I can play a game of cards and the system will shut down just before a game is finished. I can not complete a single card game. I can work on the PC for hours but let me play the card game and it shuts down. Like I said it also happens with DVD recording program. Just before completing a DVD burn, the system shuts down. The only other time I noticed a problem was my daughter using the Hanaah Montana site. She plays a certain game there and before she completes it, it shuts down. The system shuts down everytime like clockwork when using these programs. I think it is more than heating up.