Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply

bake23

bake23

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I own a Dell E510 Desktop and never had a problem with it until yesterday. I tried turning on the computer and all I got was a blinking orange light. My computer is about 2 years old and my warranty expired. I called Dell but they wanted to charge me $50 bucks for a walk through which I declined. I removed the HD and DVD Rom from the Power Supply Unit....same problem. Also removed the memory sticks to no avail. Could it be the PSU or mother board? Not sure what else to do. Thanks for you help.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
blinking orange light where? If on the computer it may be just a power supply problem ( possibly a short or could just be bad ), if on the monitor it could be either the power supply or motherboard or if you have a seperate video card it could be that.

bake23

bake23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

blinking orange light where? If on the computer it may be just a power supply problem ( possibly a short or could just be bad ), if on the monitor it could be either the power supply or motherboard or if you have a seperate video card it could be that.

The blinking light was from the computer's power button. Fortunately I found the culprit. One of my USB ports on the front panel had a pin that was bent and touching the metal causing the short. Fixed it and behold....computer boots up. But I now have another problem. I get no sound from my soundblaster card. Bummer.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
that could just be a matter of drivers... what exact card is it do you know?

bake23

bake23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I found the culprit.....one of my USB Ports was damaged causing the short. I straightened out the pin and computer boots up....thanks

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

But I now have another problem. I get no sound from my soundblaster card. Bummer.

As I said could be drivers what exact card is it?