Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring data to second hd

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I want to transfer the data from an old hd onto my new hd. I was using XP Pro with my old hd and am using XP Home currently with the new hd. Will the difference in o/s's create any problems? Also, I had a lot of o/s and virus problems with the computer I was using the old hd on, could those problems transfer onto the new hd? I did a scan of the old hd with Avast just now with the old hd as the slave drive on my current computer and the new drive as master, but when the scan completed the window and tab of the scan just disappeared. I don't see the results of the scan anywhere. Is that because there were no problems found and Avast only shows the results if problems are found? What is the best way to copy my files and programs from the old hd to the new hd? Just copy and paste? Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

There should be no problems transferring DATA but if you have a clean install I would NOT transfer programs

Most software needs to be INSTALLED and not just copied

If you had so many problems with the old drive I would re-install all applications from the original source

DATA also I would be cautious with....take ONLY what is absolutely necessary to reduce the risk

If you have a good antivirus installed and up to date the that SHOULD check each file as it is copied (this may depend on the settings in the AV program)

If it doesn't do so, transfer it slowly to an interim folder..manually scan that folder before you place it in the final resting place

In short....WHY RISK PROBLEMS after all of the work....take the MINIMUM across carefully

Good Luck

Baudy! :)