Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Manual for 462-pin Socket A for AMD Athlon Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Fixer99

Fixer99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
For a manual to a FIC Socket A 462 Athlon motherboard go to :

eMachine Upgraders

and go to the bottom of the page.

I edited this and put the answer right at the top so that subsequent people searching for this info will find it in the first post.

I bought a FIC Socket A 462 Athlon motherboard from AscendTech.us and they didn't include a manual. It's a refurbished motherboard that only cost me $25 to fix my old computer. I'm not sure where to hook up the Reset Switch wire and the H.D.D. wire. The Power LED had a label on the motherboard, and I'm assuming that the Reset Switch wire and the H.D.D. wire go right next to it on the available pins, but I'm not sure what pins to use, and the motherboard isn't clearly labeled. I've searched the internet for motherboard manuals but can't find anything for the Athlon. I've searched the forum here, and looked at the forum on how to build a computer, but each computer has specific differences for the Reset Switch wire and the H.D.D. wire. I did read somewhere that it doesn't matter what direction the Reset SW wire is hooked up in.

Edited by Fixer99, 15 October 2008 - 06:53 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Is this your motherboard? http://www.fic.com.t.../k7m-nf18g.aspx

I'm not having much luck either, although it seems like that motherboard was an OEM unit in eMachines computers. You might be able to find out which eMachines computers used the motherboard, and then search the eMachines website for a manual on those computers. They just might have some information about the motherboard in there.

Cheers

Troy

Fixer99

Fixer99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I emailed the support team at www.ascendtech.us and they sent me a diagram of the pins for the front panel connectors. I sent the email late at night, and I had an email from them first thing in the morning. I also found some printing on the board that I think can give me a clue. So the place I bought it from is trying to help me. I post whether it works or not.

Fixer99

Fixer99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Troy,
The motherboard that is shown in the link that you supplied is almost exactly like my motherboard. In the lower left hand corner, the pins are exactly like mine. There are two sets of pins there. The set of three pins that are off to the left, are labeled Power LED, and my Power LED plug has three holes. So I guess at least I know where to plug that in. I read somewhere the the labels to the plugs should be out? I also know that the plugs have a little arrow on the back of them.
Do you know how to hook the plugs up to the motherboard in the link?
Alan

Fixer99

Fixer99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here is a diagram for hooking up the front panel connectors. I hooked it up this way, and the on/off button and the reset button works. I'm still trying to figure out if this is really the right way to hook up the plugs.

Attached Thumbnails

• FrontPanelHookUp.JPG

Edited by Fixer99, 15 October 2008 - 04:34 PM.

Fixer99

Fixer99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
When I boot up the computer, I get the letter "e" on my computer screen. So I'm assuming that this is a eMachine motherboard. Also, when Ascend Tech emailed me a link to drivers/bios/files downloads, it was a link to EmachineUpgraders. So it must be an eMachine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So that picture you posted above - did you wire it up like so, and everything works fine now?

Troy

Fixer99

Fixer99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The only difference is my Power LED plug goes on another pin set. The power LED plug for my computer case has three holes in it instead of two. So eMachines made another set of pins for computer cases with Power LED plugs with three holes instead of two. Other than that, the configuration is how I hooked the wires up, and it works fine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's great news! I'm glad to hear you got it all sorted.

If you didn't want to be bothered by the Power LED, you can simply leave it disconnected! :)

If I am going to be leaving my computer on overnight, I will disconnect mine, as the wife complains it's too bright when she sleeps. :)

Troy