Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Windows Security Alert in Tray

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
wrong forum - applications or security ?? just tell me

Just uninstalled then reinstalled ZoneAlarm Firewall (basic ... the free one) and now the Windows XP Alert icon (in the system tray) shows a white 'X' on red - over the security shield (ZA says it's running - zlclient.exe is running- so think I'm covered). When I go to the Windows Security Center, the 'firewall entry' is red. (I also have AVG 8 running.)

I went to the 'recommendations' and checked the box for my own solution (which I had never done before) and the security shield (in system tray) went away. Previously, I had only turned the XP firewall off and the shield was displayed in the system tray without the white x on red.

Doesn't really bother me (less for me to look at) but was wondering why now and not before?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Most of the time, when you install a third party firewall, the program will turn off windows firewall and adjust the settings for you.
This time (maybe because windows firewall was already off) the program did not adjust the settings.