Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet speed shows incorrect result?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi GeeksToGo experts, good day. :)

Just tested my internet speed awhile ago in three websites. Here are the results.

www.speedtest.net
Posted Image

www.abeltronica.com
Posted Image

www.onestopclick.com
Posted Image

Question:
1. Why I'm getting different results?

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks and God bless. :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Need to to list some details like what your Internet connections consists of, NIC, modem used, etc.. Also, whether these test were run one after the other or at totally different times/days.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Sir Major payne, thanks for replying.

I'm on DSL connection, PPPoE and my ISP is Bayantel. My NIC is Marvell Yukon 88E808003/8010 PCI Gigabyte Ethernet.

I test my internet speed one by one on those sites. But while I'm testing it, I'm downloading something.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try running the tests with no other interaction with the Internet other than the one web page you're testing on. Try testing with all programs but browser closed. Possibly check and see if you have programs running in the background that may be "talking" in the background via the Internet.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Sir Major Payne for a quick reply.

Ok I'll test my internet speed again without downloading. I'll post back for the result.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi Sir Major Payne. :)

I'm on DSL connection, PPPoE, my ISP is Bayantel and I'm currently subscribing with 256kbps. My NIC is Marvell Yukon 88E808003/8010 PCI Gigabyte Ethernet.

Here are the results without downloading:
www.speedtest.net
Posted Image

www.abeltronica.com
Posted Image

www.onestopclick.com
Posted Image

If you look at the download and upload speed they are not the same. Why is it like that? :)

Edited by SHENGTON, 15 October 2008 - 04:31 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Well, they would be the same if each test went through the same servers and the same distance. I like www.speedtest.net and check mine at different times during the day/night/week/month when I suspect a problem. Usually it is just checked when I think about it.

Have you tried a different server at www.speedtest.net?

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here's from Makati City server:
Posted Image

Here's from Quezon City server:
Posted Image

Here's from Cagayan de Oro server:
Posted Image

Edited by SHENGTON, 15 October 2008 - 06:55 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
First two look good and better than the ones originally reported by all three. The last server has a ping time for 50 miles as long as the ping time for the 450 miles one yet much slower upload/download. Good indication that it does matter which routes your data packets take. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your speeds are ok for the service your paying for...the results will very depending on the traffic thats using the server your testing at the time your testing your speeds...
most Isp's set the download speed higher than the upload speed...some will let you balance the download and upload speeds...but that only necessary if you are a business and have remote workers that need to send large files to the office...joe average does not need this because most, if not all, will be downloading things instead of uploading

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for the info Sir Major Payne and happyrock. :)

When I'm downloading a file the download speed will only up to 32kbps. But the download results that I posted are different from the actual download.

What can you say about this?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your download speeds will vary with the amount of users that are using the server you are using at the same time you are...this has nothing to do with your ISP...its all about the site your downloading from...if they have lots of people connecting to them and downloading things...their bandwidth gets divided between all of you...if you connect to them in the middle of the nite and they don't have much traffic your download speed will increase...

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks again guys. Your inputs are really helpful. :)

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Thanks for the info Sir Major Payne and happyrock. :)

When I'm downloading a file the download speed will only up to 32kbps. But the download results that I posted are different from the actual download.

What can you say about this?

You are confusing kilobits per second and KiloBytes per second. When you download a file it is reported as Kilobytes per second which in your case of 256 kbps is about what you should expect