Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Freeze on Start-up

• Please log in to reply

Densee

Densee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Title says it all really, how do i stop/ get rid of this? It happens, then a few tries later, it will start up a little shakey at first, then turn up fine and able to use

Oh and if anyone could help me with another problem i'm having, im having internet connection problems as well, I use wireless internet, and when my computer does start up... i don't get internet connection. I cannot repair the conenction... I dont even pick up a connection. Could it be a problem with the computer or a problem with the adapter? It does have the blinking blue light on it every now and then...which i believe it means it is looking for a signal. But its failing to even pick up a trace.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I'm sorry but your symptoms are pretty vague. Any other clues?

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry, when i wrote it i had to run out of the house to get to school. Heh. Alright anyways

I would start up my computer and it would either:

Go up to the welcome screen and freeze
Go to my desktop, load everything on it except for programs and the tool bar and freeze. It does load the shortcuts i have on my desktop
Go up to the welcome screen, sit there for a few seconds. And this pops up. http://www.customweb...age/image65.png
Or after a few times it will work, or i have to go into safe mode, set it back a little or move it forwards. and it will start up fine the next go around.

Or if you're talking about the internet thing... I dunno how much more to tell you.. It just won't connect. I've reinstalled it and everything. The laptop, which i've been posting on, works fine. So i have no idea... The adapter does show that its trying to find something, because its blinking the blue light every so often. I use netgear wg111v2 if that helps any.

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
bump

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Interesting error: 0x000000E2

MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH

Have you tried a system restore to a point before the problem started?

Updated any drivers recently?

Do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I have.

No, I haven't

And yes i do.

But... uh. Thinking about it. I need to double check my computer when it crashes. I forgot to make sure that one was the correct one... Thats what i remember it as anyway. So once i can check my computer i can get back to you on that. By this i'm meaning the Stop number

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, sorry I have it, it is

0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0w8062c26b, 0xa691399c, 0x00000000)

Edited by Densee, 17 October 2008 - 01:27 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
hope admin doesn't mind me jumping in here...

if the computer boots up and works OK in safe mode...its probably a driver issue...
plug in a cat5 cable...RJ45 (ethernet) from the computer to the router
then try booting into safe mode with networking....try getting on the internet
let us know how it goes

Edited by happyrock, 18 October 2008 - 07:29 AM.

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried that last night, sorry for the late response, but i wasn't able to connect to the internet from that. So i wasn't able to do so. And yes i was plugged right into the router while in safemode with networking.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't think it could be a problem with the modem or router, since the other two computers in my house have perfect and stable internet connection. But i could be wrong

Oh and also... I have xp pro... i thought i've mentioned it before. Sorry if that changes a lot.

Edited by Densee, 25 October 2008 - 05:17 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
humor me.... and do what i asked

Densee

Densee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No go.