Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gas for 35 CENTS

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Man, this is unbelieveable - WISH we could get a "mistake" like this to happen

Cheap Gas

Brian

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Now that's classic :)

As if the guy didn't realize that people were only paying $8!

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Now that's classic :)

As if the guy didn't realize that people were only paying $8!

Yeah, looks like someone was NOT paying attention - with the price of gas these days, others were obviously shocked, and they WERE paying attention - Good for them :) Although I dount that we will see Gas go down to about $2.00/Gallon for a while........

Such is the Economy :)

Brian

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Certain gas stations have gone from about $3.80ish to about $2.69 in no time in my area. With the current standpoint of the economy, I would think that would mean that prices are NOT going to be stable now. Before it used to be about wether or not people liked the prices of gas. Now it is a matter of can they actually afford the gas prices. So the gas prices stand a good chance of being driven down fairly low. I dont know if we should hope for $2.00 a gallon though...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Being the son of a math teacher, I *have* to point out the error in the title...They may have been paying a low amount, but certainly not less then half a penny a gallon! :)

The cheapest I've seen in my area is $2.89/gal

Edited by jt1990, 16 October 2008 - 05:16 PM.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If you are going to correct him on that, then I guess I should give you something to think about. A Cent is a unit of measurement for US (and some other places) currency. The cent is .01 and only .01. If you have 35 cent, then you have 35 separate cent, and not a single cent that is the size of .35 dollars. To add to that, you can never have any LESS than one cent. What happens if you cut a cent in half? It all of a sudden loses ALL of its value. That is just the nature of the cent. So since you can not have less then a cent, preceding 35 with a period, then giving it cent as a unit of measurement, you would be expected to understand that the person is saying 35 cent. This is a "problem" with English, not Math.

On a side note, since you will probably have tried to use this against me. The value presented on the gas station billboard says something like $2.899. The means they are no longer talking about money. Rather, they are giving you the number used in the calculation to come up with what they charge you. Lets say you are getting 2 gallons. You are not paying $2.899 per gallon. Instead, you are paying $5.79 for 2 gallons. Since you don't know exactly how much you are buying, this is a "representation" for how much you will pay per gallon. In other words, it may be useful, but it is not real...

Edit:
As for my background, I was a lazy math prodigy (no lie, google Josh Gager for some potential evidence...). I sort of gave up math for something more entertaining, Applications Programming. So now I am an Intern working at Piggly Wiggly as an Applications Programmer (that is actually my job title).

Edited by Granz00, 16 October 2008 - 08:52 PM.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Although I dount that we will see Gas go down to about $2.00/Gallon for a while........

Umm yeah that's pretty weird seeing as petrol prices over here are around $1.35 - $1.60 (Depending on the day)...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

If you are going to correct him on that, then I guess I should give you something to think about. A Cent is a unit of measurement for US (and some other places) currency. The cent is .01 and only .01. If you have 35 cent, then you have 35 separate cent, and not a single cent that is the size of .35 dollars. To add to that, you can never have any LESS than one cent. What happens if you cut a cent in half? It all of a sudden loses ALL of its value. That is just the nature of the cent. So since you can not have less then a cent, preceding 35 with a period, then giving it cent as a unit of measurement, you would be expected to understand that the person is saying 35 cent. This is a "problem" with English, not Math.

On a side note, since you will probably have tried to use this against me. The value presented on the gas station billboard says something like $2.899. The means they are no longer talking about money. Rather, they are giving you the number used in the calculation to come up with what they charge you. Lets say you are getting 2 gallons. You are not paying $2.899 per gallon. Instead, you are paying $5.79 for 2 gallons. Since you don't know exactly how much you are buying, this is a "representation" for how much you will pay per gallon. In other words, it may be useful, but it is not real...

Edit:
As for my background, I was a lazy math prodigy (no lie, google Josh Gager for some potential evidence...). I sort of gave up math for something more entertaining, Applications Programming. So now I am an Intern working at Piggly Wiggly as an Applications Programmer (that is actually my job title).

I was making a joke!! :) :)

:)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Although I dount that we will see Gas go down to about $2.00/Gallon for a while........

Umm yeah that's pretty weird seeing as petrol prices over here are around $1.35 - $1.60 (Depending on the day)...

Nice! I'm moving to Australia...

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Yeah I could tell it was a joke. I just felt like elaborating on some things about what you said... I like to "debate" a little sometimes...

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Haha...Well, you picked the right person to debate with...I can't hold an argument to save my life :)

J-H

J-H

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Petrol prices droped to under £1 in the UK earlier this week, I'm not sure how long that will keep up because one of the oil producers are planning on cutting production so that oil prices will go back up. Or so I think I read on the BBC site anyway, I'm too tired for reading, lol.

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
-USA-

Where I live, gas broke below the $2.00 mark at the end of last week. Yesterday it was $1.99! It has gone down 50% or so in the past month!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I think it mostly has to do with the economy being in a slump, not only here in the U.S., but the global economy is not doing so well either, consumers all over the world have been cutting back on their oil consumption, thus lowering the demand for oil. So I guess it all boils down to the old supply & demand. I don’t mind though because it brought the prices near my house down to $1.57 US :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:) Nice! I just paid $2.49/gal this evening to fill my car, but that's at one of the more expensive places around here... I expect I probably would have paid under $2.20 a little farther south, but I wasn't going a little farther south...