Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Boot Time Takes Ages

• Please log in to reply

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi guys and Girls

Today I decided to upgrade my machine as it was getting a little laggy... I purchased 2 gig of the exact same ram I was already using Geil DDR2... I turned off my machine installed both sticks of ram and booted up... It sat on the Black Windows XP screen for ages and ages... I thought it was dead so I held the reset when it rebooted it gave me start in safe mode option, I tried this but it froze again... So now im thinking I have 2 dodgy sticks of ram... I took the ram out.. I then rebooted again.. same thing happens... but because I was trying to ask a mate on MSN for advice (using my laptop) I left it on the XP screen.. after 10 minutes it slowly went on... so now I turn it back off and put the new ram back in.. Turn it on and same thing 10 minutes and the it finally turns on.. computer doesnt feel right once its on either.. jerks a lot and occasionally freezes...

I have tried finding out how to install XP over my copy of my XP without Formatting as I have to much stuff Installed which I dont want to loose...

when browsing the net after typing in my problem I came across this site and something it told some1 else to try

"Click "Start", then "Run", type "eventvwr.msc", and press Enter. "

I did this.. and here is what it found

Error 15/10/2008 14:02:14 Service Control Manager None 7023 N/A

I then double clicked 1 of the many errors

this is what I find

The Aplication management Service Terminated with the following error.. The specified Module could not be found...

when I followed the Link it game me it says Symbolic name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED

I cant count how many errors there are, there is just so many, quite a few errors even happen twice 3 times in the same second...

it appears it would explain why i cant boot properly But I have no idea how to fix it..

any help would be greatly fully received

on a side note this is the 1st pc I have Built from scratch myself... so I am on a learning curve right now :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a windows Firewall error. I tried this fix from another frorum and it worked on a computer i was trying to fix with this problem.

http://www.pcreview....read-180153.php

While you can do a repair install of XP i have had some software that i no longer could access and had to do some "take ownership" of some files to be able to use them. On some computer i had no problems with the repair install.

Repair Install
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

File Access Denied on Windows XP and how to take ownership

Here are the steps.

1. Log on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you
are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe
mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access
to the Security tab.

2. If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing.

3. Right-click the folder/file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

4. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

5. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

6. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged
in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership
of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
check box.

7. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folderName. Do you
want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for
the folder and its contents.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 15 October 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Many thanks for the advice... I tried the repair method first but to no avail... I have just finished repairing it and so far so good

does anybody know why my machine started to do this.. as if I can I would like to take precautions into it doing it again...

again thanks for the help :):D

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had this happen to me when i installed Avast AV which has a internet filter built-in. It interfered with the windows Firewall and was causing some problems. I ended up disabling the windows firewall on that computer.

I also had a similar problem when i installed a wireless router to my system to take advantage of having 2 laptops in the house. It seems the wireless router causes problems with the windows firewall. I ended up turning off windows firewall then Installing the router, then turning the firewall back on. It seemed to work then and i've had no problems with it yet.

SRX660

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks for the reply.. I never use windows firewall.. I always have it disabled as I have a firewall built into my router... if I open my Windows security centre it says there Firewall Off the only green light I have is for Virus protection... is there another way of disabling it even further ??

As for the comp its now running sweet as.. shame 32 bit cant maximise on the 4 gig of ram but its better than the original 2 gig that was in there :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first thing I would try is to remove the new ram and put in the old ram that was in it originally ...does it boot faster then....

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The old ram is in there too.. I just brought 2 gig extra.. its exactly the same model ram as my old... but when the problem 1st happened I did take out the new stuff and try it with just the old, and the same thing happened... since following SRX660 advice and using the repair windows feature its booting fine... couldnt ask for a better working machine atm.... :) :)