Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Bad Image" Error Message After Installing Windows' Late

• Please log in to reply

GratefulOne

GratefulOne

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I began to receive frequent "Bad Image" messages after I installed Windows' lates security updates last night. These read, "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1433_x-ww_5cf844d2\MSVCR80.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

My ClamWin program won't open, and I can't open any pdf files now. Will anyone help me to resolve this please?

I've uploaded two screenshots of the message.

Attached Thumbnails

• ErrMess2.JPG
  • ErrorMess.JPG

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first thing to try is system restore...go back to a date before you updated windows...

GratefulOne

GratefulOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, Happyrock.

I've already done what you suggested, but doen't this leave me without the Windows security updates that Microsoft says I should have?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can use windows update to get any you need after the restore...it sounds like one of the updates screwed things up...it happens sometimes...
what we are trying to do is get your system stable again first...then get the updates that you need...
get them one at a time and reboot between the updates and make sure your system is stable before getting the next one...that way you will know exactly which one is causing the problem....

GratefulOne

GratefulOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
...will do.

Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...let us know how it goes...