Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken Audio After Computer Restoration?

• Please log in to reply

xxtaylor

xxtaylor

• Pip
  • 8 posts
well, a while ago my computer had a TON of viruses. so my cousin took it to his house and did a system restore or something like it (maybe reinstalled Windows? not sure.), and since my audio has been broken.

does anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it? i've been dealing with it for a while and it's been horrible.
please help asap.

if you need any information, like screenshots of what happens when i try to open audio programs and whatnot, let me know.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Your friend (cousin) most likely reinstalled Windows.
When there is a fresh install all of the old data and programs are gone.
The driver for your sound card needs to be reinstalled.
Go to the manufactures (of your computer) web site and look for the drivers that you need.
If you will post the make, and model of your machine I can find the web site for you.

xxtaylor

xxtaylor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it's a Dell Pentium 4, and here's the system information in case you need it;

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel ®
Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79GHz, 504 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

and thanks.
i'm pretty sure i've tried this before, but my internet was either acting up, or my computer just refused to download it.

xxtaylor

xxtaylor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh, and it's a Dimension E310. sorry, forgot to put that.

xxtaylor

xxtaylor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i tried going to the Dell website and entering my system type and whatnot, but my computer wouldn't load it.
the window just said, "internet connectin failed".

flash86

flash86

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello xxtaylor,

please go to the following site and download Belarc:

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

This tool scans your computer so you can know what the names of your devices are instead of opening up your pc

Scan your computer, and once it open up the report scroll down to where it says multimedia, that is what your sound driver is called, post it here and I might be able to help you find it.

xxtaylor

xxtaylor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i looked up a few topics in different forums, and on some it said to install a new chipset device as well as the drivers on the Dell website.
so the uploads for the drivers finally worked, i installed the chipset and both audio drivers for my model computer.. but my audio still isn't working.
my volume control is actually accessable now (it wasn't before), but i'm still getting no sound and every time i open iTunes it saus, "There is something wrong with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not work properly." (or at least something along those lines.)

and to Flash;; i'm installing and analyzing now. i'll post again with the information i get. thank you!

xxtaylor

xxtaylor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
here is what it says below Multimedia;;

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

the SigmaTel audio driver is what i installed from Dell.. i'm not sure about the Unimodem Half-Duplex, though.