Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting text

• Please log in to reply

Biker1

Biker1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Not sure of the correct terminology, but would like to cause selected text on my website to blink, as do flashing amber traffic warning signals. Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The <blink></blink> tags are one way, but, as with all things, there's more than one way to do something.

Blink Tags:
<blink>This text would blink in compatible browsers</blink>
CSS:
<span style="text-decoration:blink;">Blinking text goes here</span>

JavaScript Blinking Text

MySpace Blinking Text Generators.

Someone will no doubt come along and tell you not to use blinking text as it's irritating, outdated, etc., but go for it if you want it. No worse than some sites with Flash or a bunch of animated images.

Biker1

Biker1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Major:
I would like to have the following words blink: "Visit the Haunted House, a Halloween Special, Here". I'm using Adobe GoLive 6 and XP Pro but perhaps I don't have the blink and unblink in the right places. Or could there be some other problem? Many thanks.

Original Source Code
<p><font color="#ff8c00" face="Georgia,Snap ITC"><font size="4"><i><b>Visit the Haunted House,<br>
a Halloween Special,</b></i><a href="halloween/haunted.htm"><i><b><br>
</b></i></a></font><font size="3"><i><b><a href="halloween/haunted.htm">Here</a></b></i></font></font></p>
<p><br>

Revised Source Code to include "blink"
<p><font color="#ff8c00" face="Georgia,Snap ITC"><font size="4"><blink><i><b>Visit the Haunted House,<br>
a Halloween Special,</b></i><a href="halloween/haunted.htm"><i><b><br>
</b></i></a></font><font size="3"><i><b><a href="halloween/haunted.htm">Here</blink></a></b></i></font></font></p>
<p><br>

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This should work in IE and Firefox. Dresses it up some for you:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html><head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title></title>
<meta name="description" content="">
<meta name="keywords" content="">
<meta name="author" content="">
<meta name="generator" content="MSS Website Studio by van IJperen Software Inc. - http://www.marsansoft.nl">
<script typr="text/javascript">
function blink (elId) {
  var html = '';
  if (document.all)
	html += 'var el = document.all.' + elId + ';';
  else if (document.getElementById)
	html += 'var el = document.getElementById("' + elId + '");';
  html +=
	'el.style.visibility = ' +
	'el.style.visibility == "hidden" ? "visible" : "hidden"';
  if (document.all || document.getElementById)
	setInterval(html, 500)
}
function init () {
  blink('aText');
  blink('a2ndText');
}
</script>
<body onLoad="init();">

Revised Source Code to include "blink"
<p id="aText" style="text-align: center;color: #ff8c00; font-family: Georgia,Snap ITC; font-size: 3em; font-weight: 900; font-style: italic; text-decoration: blink;"><blink>Visit <span style="color: #000;">the</span> Haunted <span style="color: #000;">House</span></blink></p>

<p style="text-align: center; font-size: 2em;"><a href="halloween/haunted.htm"><span>Here</span></a></p>

<p id="a2ndText" style="text-align: center; color: #ff8c00; font-family: Georgia,Snap ITC; font-size: 3em; font-weight: 900; font-style: italic; text-decoration: blink;"><blink><span style="color: #000;">A</span> Halloween <span style="color: #000;">Special</span></blink></p>

</body></html>