Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flashdrive issues

• Please log in to reply

computerchic

computerchic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi..thanks in advance to advice given.

I need help with a flashdrive/usb issue.

My friend has been trying to download her quickbook file onto a flashdrive. When she does this, she
gets an error saying that it's the wrong or unknown path?

The flashdrive is in "F" removeable drive. I put the FD in, safely removed it and tried again.

I went into the disc management and couldnt find the drive at all. Now, I can't recall if I had the Flashdrive in when I did
this. Does this matter. Should Drive F still be there even if the media is not connected?

Now, if the drive is not being recognized, how do I get it to be. She really needs to download this info and she doesnt
have a cd burner.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Once you remove a flash drive from the computer the drive letter disappears also. The flash drive needs to be inserted in a USB port to see it and any data on it. I am taking it that this is a older computer and that may be the problem with the flash drive. Win 98 and even Win ME can have problems with newer USB drives.

I would try a different flash drive first to see if any flash drive will work on the computer.

It could also be the flash drive has gone bad. Have you checked the flash drive in another computer to see if it will work on that computer?

If you are using a XP computer, have the flash drive in a usb port, and go to computer management/ disk management and see what it shows there for the drive. The flash drive should show as a plain FAT drive. This ia because most flash drives are formatted as FAT16 to be compatable with all computers.

I have also seen some older computers that will not see any new hardware connected to USB simply because the computer had run out of drive letters to use. I ended up deleting the USB drivers out of device manager to fix the problem. One result of this is the customer said using his old flash drives was slower. Only thing i could think of is the computer had to read the different flash drives again to be able to see them.

You may be able to format the flash drive as FAT32, and be able to use it. Usually this is unnecessary but i have brought back some dead flash drives doing this.Just for your information, flash drives can be partitioned back to FAT (16) using a Gparted CD.

SRX660