Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Not Found...

• Please log in to reply

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
My brother and I recently "upgraded" our families painstakingly slow Sony VAIO (From the year 2000, with Windows ME installed) to a less-slow eMachines computer. We found the eMachine computer in the garbage on the side of the road. We were hoping for a hard drive inside (we are out of HDD space at home!), but to no avail. But I digress, whenever the computer starts up from a cold boot, it gives the message Operating System Not Found. The only way to work around this is to enter the CMOS setup, and exit. The system then boots up normally (WinXP installed). I have told my family members to just put the PC into standby mode, which has kept the computer working apparently. Still, this problem really annoys me, and I hope that you wise fellows will help me.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Got to have a hard drive if the PC finally loads and operates with Win XP. Go back into the BIOS and see what the boot sequence is. May not be set to boot from the hard drive at power on.

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yeah it has a hard drive, forgot to add that lol. Sorry it took a week to reply. I went into the BIOS setup, looked around for a long time, and I found no boot sequence option. I was angry and surprised at the same time. So, I have no idea what to do.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Tim'A...

If you have to reset the CMOS in order to boot, it's likely a dead CMOS battery (motherboard battery). Replacing that may well fix your machine.

wannabe1