Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

admin rights

• Please log in to reply

briz_dad

briz_dad

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I have a feeling that my user/login for my windows xp machine at home doesn't have full admin rights. There are instances where I am unable to install things - they are rare, but happen.

Can someone help me trouble shoot this?

(I am the only "user" for the machine)

Advertisements

eldor

eldor

• Pip
  • 9 posts
When you go into control panel and users. Look for your username, underneath there it will say what sort of user account privileges you have, if it says computer administrator then something else is causing the problems

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
it says computer admininstrator

When my wife was sharing the computer, one of the first signs of issues was that if logged on to her account, we could view movies via movielink (which uses a WMP program). When logged in to my account, the program would not install properly.

Any way to trouble shoot this? I am now the only account on the computer (at least that is seen via the control panel).

Oh, also, a while back when I went to do the SP3 install, there was an access denied error that occured

eldor

eldor

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This sounds like it is a problem with movielink. It has DRM software so it could be that it has been locked to your wifes account. If it is possible then I would first uninstall then try reinstalling the movielink software. If not then contact blockbuster directly...
http://www.blockbust...ad/help/faq/367

As for the SP3 error. Here is more info on that and instructions on how to get around it if you wish.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Note though that it could well be the movielink software that has caused the sp3 error.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
i think it is more then that because i can't get the flash player plug-in to install on firefox and there are other clues as well that something is not on the "up n up".

Is there a way to get a print out of something that might help in decifering what is amiss?

eldor

eldor

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well if you look at the link for fixing the sp3 problem that may fix it as the fix resets the permissions on your files so that the administrator can access them properly. I would advise to backup before you do some heavy duty changes.