Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

genuine windows validation?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I bought a computer off my friend because mine fried in a power surge.
and it works great and everything.
But in the bottom right corner there is always a square that sais:

"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting
This version of windows did not pass windows validation"

And i know he bought this computer from a store and hasn't changed windows from when he bought it...
It doesn't really do anything but it's just annoying to see it there and it won't let me have a wallpaper on my computer.
So does anybody know how to get rid of this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And i know he bought this computer from a store and hasn't changed windows from when he bought it...
It doesn't really do anything but it's just annoying to see it there and it won't let me have a wallpaper on my computer.
So does anybody know how to get rid of this?

well it does do something...#1 it will annoy the heck out of you as often as it can with popups and messages...#2 you can't update your windows to keep it secure.

you'll need to contact microsoft about making your OS legit. if your friend still has the receipts you might be able to get it re-licensed for free (or at least at a discount)

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well the weird thing is, I can update my windows and just did the other day lol.
Somebody told me there was a way around it if i just did something in system 32 but i don't want to fiddle around with that unless I know what I am doing.

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
So anybody isn't this a help board....

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello lacokanostra,

dsenette already answered your question.

you'll need to contact microsoft about making your OS legit. if your friend still has the receipts you might be able to get it re-licensed for free (or at least at a discount)

The Terms of Usage prevent us from helping you bypass the security measures in your operating system. This includes helping you with a message that tells you that you don't have a legitimate copy of Windows. We will not assist you to bypass this process.

Your only option as already mentioned is to contact Microsoft even if you can update windows.
This tool will give you the options you have.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Since you've been given the only solution we'll give you, which is to make this copy legit, I'm closing this thread. As stated, we will not help bypass this.