Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer failed to start?

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Sometimes, my computer tells me it failed to start up. It then sits there trying to do a repair function or something for a few minutes, makes a reference to possibly having additional hardware set up incorrectly on it, and then shuts down. The next time I turn it on, it starts up correctly. I'm really not sure what's going on with this, since the only hardware connected to the laptop is a mouse and a fan underneath it (the fan is connected via usb and uses the computer to power it. It didn't come with any software either).

This may or may not have something to do with Vista; I'm not really sure what causes this, but Vista is the OS.

This is some of the dxdiag information if that helps. I can post more of it if necessary.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/16/2008, 07:12:54
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: G2S
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1354MB used, 4987MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Try starting it up with the fan off or not connected. You may need to move it to another USB slot

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I'm currently trying that. So far, no errors have occured; however, it's hard to know if I'm lucky or if the problem is fixed. Assuming I turn the computer on once a day, how long should I wait before I consider this resolved?

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I used to get this on my last computer. I found that is was an Overclocking issue. Check that your devices are set up correctly in your BIOS/CMOS.
If you cant see any problems, try resetting your BIOS/CMOS. Make sure you back-up first.
That sorted it for me.

Edited by SkyLogic, 20 October 2008 - 10:05 AM.

jtg22

jtg22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I've never really done something like that before, but I'd be willing to try it if the problem occurs again. How would I go about doing this?

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
First just try resetting it from in the BIOS/CMOS it's self (there should be an option to do this in your BIOS/CMOS). If it continues to happen after you have done this you will need to do a full reset.

To do a full reset:
Open up the computer, pop the battery out of the Mother Board, Find the Board Reset Jumper (have a look in your Mother board manual or on the manufacturers website), move the jumper to the reset position, leave it there for 30 seconds.
Move the jumper back to its original position and pop the battery back in.
Boot your computer and enter the BIOS/CMOS. Check the config is correct and set the time and date. Save and exit. Reboot.

That will reset your board and will get rid of any overclocking settings to do with your Board setup.

It sounds harder than it is.