Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to internet after AVG removed trojans [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pearce15

pearce15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi emeraldnzl,

here is another challenge :)

After downloading and running the COMODO removal tool, restarted the pc and tried installing PC Tools firewall. Same notice appeared. But I decided to give it a try and installed it. After rebooting, low and behold my internet acted the way it was before - unable to surf. So applying what I've learnt the past couple of weeks was to uninstall the app. Internet is back as normal.

So now what should I do to rid my pc of traces of COMODO since if I don't do so, installing another firewall app will only stall every other app that requires internet connection.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

So now what should I do to rid my pc of traces of COMODO since if I don't do so, installing another firewall app will only stall every other app that requires internet connection.

Well I am not sure about that. Looking at your machines history my guess would be that even if you removed all traces of Comodo you would still have trouble if you install another firewall. Remember you did not have Comodo when you came for help in the first place. The one that worked then was removal of ZoneAlarm. Later it was the Windows Firewall, no I think your machine has a "congenital" dislike of firewalls. :)

In any event there will be very little left after running that tool. Maybe some legacy keys in registry. More detailed manual removal instructions can be found here.

By the way, as I mentioned at post 86, did you check out whether you already have a network-level firewall built into your router already?

pearce15

pearce15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello emeraldnzl,

well an old machine does have its own idiosyncracies. :)

Anyway to ans your qn, I don't think my router has a network-level firewall. The only security in place is when I access my router's IP web address and indicate which stations/IP addresses are permissable under the security option.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi pearce15,

Been doing some research. :)

Process Guard might be an answer for you. Might have to pay for it though. You would want to get it on a trial basis because we know what can happen on your computer. You want to be able to remove it without cost if you run into problems.

Link below:

http://www.softpedia...ess-Guard.shtml

This utility provides competent PC protection, albeit in a different way than antivirus or anti-adware tools do. Rather than scanning your PC to ferret out specific offenders, ProcessGuard blocks all activities typical of malware and Trojan horses at a deep level.

You will need to run the utility in learning mode for several hours so ProcessGuard can examine your computer and determine which processes are safe.

Not for everyone but it might be an answer for you.

regards
emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.